trouble setting up Time Capsule and Airport Express

Reaction score
Recently bought both pieces of hardware and same problem with setting up both - I want them to join my existing wireless network. I go through all the steps on Airport Utility and it indicates they are connected properly, then the last screen says it is restarting the device, however this goes on and on and eventually says it cannot restart and to try again. When i reopen Airport Utility, it is no longer able to even find the device. I have tried restoring the factory settings and then going through the process from scratch, but I end up with the same results.

Any suggestions??

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Recently bought both pieces of hardware and same problem with setting up both - I want them to join my existing wireless network. I go through all the steps on Airport Utility and it indicates they are connected properly, then the last screen says it is restarting the device, however this goes on and on and eventually says it cannot restart and to try again. When i reopen Airport Utility, it is no longer able to even find the device. I have tried restoring the factory settings and then going through the process from scratch, but I end up with the same results.

Any suggestions??

You don't give any information about your existing network, which will make it hard to help.
Below is an article from Apple on extending your wireless network which may or may not apply. I do know that some routers (Belkin I think is one of them, not sure about this) are not compatible with this procedure.

AirPort Utility 5.1 Help: Extending the range of your wireless network

Anyway, post back with some more specifics on your set up and we will try to help.

BTW: Welcome to the forums

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks! you can see I'm a novice since I don't even know what information you need to help....
I have a wireless network with router from my local ISP (don't know the brand of router) but I have no problem with wireless internet connection. I only want the Time Capsule to backup my computer, so I have just plugged it in by my computer, but no cables to my computer since I didn't think I need it for what I want. I don't want to extend my wireless network, so I have just selected 'join an existing network".
For the airport express, I have it connected to my stereo and just want it to play iTunes from my computer. Is there any additional information that would be helpful?
Thanks for helping!
For the airport

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks! you can see I'm a novice since I don't even know what information you need to help....

What Mac you are on.
What OS you have. Click on the  in the top left then About This Mac
What sort of security is on the network. ie: WAP/WAP2/WEP ??

In my experience the AE should set up easy and reboots in a minute.

Cheers

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have a wireless network with router from my local ISP (don't know the brand of router) but I have no problem with wireless internet connection. I only want the Time Capsule to backup my computer, so I have just plugged it in by my computer, but no cables to my computer since I didn't think I need it for what I want. I don't want to extend my wireless network, so I have just selected 'join an existing network".
For the airport express, I have it connected to my stereo and just want it to play iTunes from my computer. Is there any additional information that would be helpful?
Thanks for helping!
For the airport
If you don't want to extend your wireless network with it then honestly the Time Capsule is probably a waste of money. But, since you already have it, you should be able to plug it in (using an ethernet cable) to your existing router, and then the internal hard drive should be visible in finder and you can select it for Time Machine backup.
To my mind, a better soloution may be to again do a wired connection from your existing router and use the Time Capsule as the base station for your network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I agree with Razormac and set connection sharing to off(bridge mode) in wireless mode
for TC set as create a wireless network and for the Express join a wireless network and
set both to configure using DHCP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.