• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Samsung installs keylogger on its laptop computers [NetworkWorld]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Samsung installs keylogger on its laptop computers

After an in-depth analysis of the laptop, my conclusion was that this software was installed by the manufacturer, Samsung. I removed the keylogger software, cleaned up the laptop, and continued using the computer. However, after experiencing problems with the video display driver, I returned that laptop to the store where I bought it and bought a higher Samsung model (R540) from another store.

Again, after the initial set up of the laptop, I found the same StarLogger software in the c:\windows\SL folder of the new laptop. The findings are false-positive proof since I have used the tool that discovered it for six years now and I am yet to see it misidentify an item throughout the years. The fact that on both models the same files were found in the same location supported the suspicion that the hardware manufacturer, Samsung, must know about this software on its brand-new laptops.

And in a followup article…
Samsung responds to installation of keylogger on its laptop computers

The supervisor who spoke with me was not sure how this software ended up in the new laptop thus put me on hold. He confirmed that yes, Samsung did knowingly put this software on the laptop to, as he put it, "monitor the performance of the machine and to find out how it is being used."

There is something seriously "off" with Samsung. Their record is very poor with supporting their Android phones with updates; their Windows Phone models are the only ones (that I know of) that had bricking issues with the two minor updates MS put out for that platform; their tablet strategy is all over the place and half-baked; their CEO seems to be making a lot of… odd… comments lately; and now this business with the keylogger. I think I will be staying waaaay away from anything they make from here out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I second this. If anyone can't find any other way to monitor product performance other then a keylogger will not get any sales from me. I say steer clear from this mess.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I may be one of the biggest anti-Samsung guys around, but it looks like this guy may not have done enough research before deciding it was a keylogger.

Samsungs official statement posted on their website... The anti-spyware apps trigger "infection" on the existance of the sl directory.

link

The confusion arose because Microsoft's Live Application multi-language
support folder, "SL" folder, was mistaken for StarLogger

(Live Application is Microsoft's application which provides messenger, email,
video, photo gallery functions. Depending on the language, under
C:\windows folders "SL" for Slovak, "KO" for Korean, "EN" for English are created.)

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I may be one of the biggest anti-Samsung guys around, but it looks like this guy may not have done enough research before deciding it was a keylogger.

Samsungs official statement posted on their website... The anti-spyware apps trigger "infection" on the existance of the sl directory.

link

The confusion arose because Microsoft's Live Application multi-language
support folder, "SL" folder, was mistaken for StarLogger

Well I have to admit that Samsung's explanation does make more sense, though they do have a manager who needs to be held accountable for "confirming" that they did install it. I imagine he was just making something up to make the caller go away, but that's just plain incompetent. False positives are becoming a bit of a problem with Windows anti-malware software. I'm increasingly thankful I switched away from all those hassles. Just thinking back to my pre-Mac days gives me the shivers.

Just read a new article where the maker of VIPRE does confirm it was their software's fault.
VIPRE maker explains false positive on Samsung laptops, apologizes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THere's a fairly simple way to monitor the performance and usage of a line of computers you sell.

If more and more people buy your product, and sales are on the up quarter after quarter, its safe to assume your products are a. good and b. useful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.