problems /Suggestions for Email App

L

linmacs

I am curently running Tiger 10.4.2 on a Powerbook G4.

I am using Thunderbird as my default email client right now for a couple of reasons:
1. It integrates well with our LDAP server (Mail.app doesn't for some reason)
2. It works well with GPG (Mail.app does this well too)

If not for reason 1 above, i would use Mail as my default email client. Mail using LDAP only shows the last name of a person when doing an LDAP query. So if I querey on Smith, I get back a list of maybe 50 Smiths but with no first name so they are indistiguishable.

The only problem I am having with Thunderbird is integration with other applications, specifically MS Office 11. I have addressed this problem here http://mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23382

So, if anyone is experienced with LDAP and knows how to fix my Mail problem or can fix the MS Office problem, I would greatly appreciate it!

OP
L

linmacs

linmacs said:
1. It integrates well with our LDAP server (Mail.app doesn't for some reason)
2. It works well with GPG (Mail.app does this well too)

If not for reason 1 above, i would use Mail as my default email client. Mail using LDAP only shows the last name of a person when doing an LDAP query. So if I querey on Smith, I get back a list of maybe 50 Smiths but with no first name so they are indistiguishable.

Amazingly enough I found some doumentation on the LDAP problem. It seems that Apple is using a non-standards based attribute "givenName" to display the name instead of using the the standard ldap atribute "cn" (complete name?). Our LDAP server does not populate givenName and therefore has the problem Apple Mail and Addressbook.

Comments?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.