Safari can't connect to the server

Reaction score
Hi

I've just got a macbook pro, had Macs a few years back but this is the first for a while. Been trying to access my IP camera at home. I'm at work using the wireless network. No problem from my Windows PC. I can also access the server from Safari on my Iphone (can't see the video stream but that 's another issue!).

When I enter the address (81.174.157.164:88) in Safari on my Macbook all I get is the error message "Safari can't connect to the server / can't open the page... because Safari can't connect to the server".

Tried downloading Firefox but no difference. Don't seem to have any problems with any other websites that I've tried. I'd be grateful if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks
Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
I just tried it and connected

but it will not, of course, open as it wants your username and password.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for trying and for your reply. Naturally, I'm not putting the username and password up here :) but my problem is that when I try this from my macbook I get the error message before the point where I would enter the details. No such problem from a windows machine, or indeed with safari on my iphone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

Reaction score
Safari can't connect to the server / can't open the page... because Safari can't conn

I've been experience the same problem "Safari can't connect to the server / can't open the page... because Safari can't connect to the server"

I can "fix" it by rebooting, but this is a pain and one of the reasons I switched to Mac (to avoid having to reboot all the time).

Using Network Diagnostics gives a clean bill of health. I can ping google.com and other sites. Just can't get Safari (or any other browser) to connect.

Anybody know the solution?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.