Best midi keyboard / controller for a relative beginner?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've just started getting into music production, and was wondering what midi keyboard or controller everyone would recommend? My budget is around 100-150 pounds. At the moment ive been mucking around with a mate's Reason 5 software, but I'll probably go for Cubase 6 or Pro Tools 9.

Also is there any other hardware that would be good for a beginner to consider buying?

Cheers :)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
an audio interface is a good start, incase you want to do any serious work with audio (vocals, hardware synths, guitars and so on).

on the software front, you have alot of options:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mu...859-summary-all-audio-apps-available-osx.html

(theres even a few free ones on there to get you started right away!)

on the midi keyboard front, i use an M Audio Oxygen 25 at home, and an Akai LPK 25 when im travelling. (its about as long as a 30cm ruler).

definitely check out the M audio range, Akai, or Behringer. for £100 - 150, you should be able to get a decent one with a fair amount of controls, faders and so on.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks robduckyworth :) I looking more at the keyboards with more keys. I was thinking that ones with less keys would hinder me making leads, do you not find that to be the case?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
yeah I do if i am honest, it is a restriction, but the keyboard is not my main instrument, I play guitar, and i need to trigger samples and stuff occassionally, which is why i use them. if someone brought out a decent guitar - midi device, i might finally be able to program decent MIDI.

the oxygen and axiom m audio keyboards have got larger key options available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.