Software firewall blocking OpenDNS responses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (2011), i5 2.3GHz, 8GB RAM; MacBook Pro 5,1, 4GB RAM, 120GB SSD
Hi,

I'm using OpenDNS on my Mac Pro 2010 running 10.6.6. Firewall is on and set to allow signed applications and Stealth Mode.

I'm getting dozens of Stealth Mode rejections from OpenDNS port 53 to a random port number on my Mac Pro above 49000. I'm not sure why this is happening but according to the OpenDNS forums this is my firewall blocking DNS lookup responses - but shouldn't the firewall automatically let those through?

Is the answer to somehow permanently allow incoming requests from the OpenDNS IP address port 53 to random ports above 49000 and, if so, how do I accomplish this?

Many thanks,

S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Best way: turn your firewall to "Off", you don't really need it and it's also the reason Apple ships their products with the firewall set to Off by default.

HTH,
- Simon

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*sigh* How did I know that was the response I was going to get? How depressing.

Anyone willing to do more than move the goalposts?

S.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My last response may have sounded unnecessarily harsh, but I just moved here after getting sick of the non-relevant responses from 5-figure posters on the Apple Discussions Forums, and I was really looking for some genuine, pays-attention-to-the-question-because-the-OP-presumably-has-some-idea-what-he's-asking-for replies. Can anyone please help me solve my problem without resorting to turning off the software firewall?

Please, ignore my attitude and please attempt to answer the question in the same spirit with which it was asked. :(

Disillusioned,

S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Back to Foghorn Leghorn. Do as suggested it is a great reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Maybe if you could explain why you need it turned on then we could help further?

- Simon

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@harryb2448:
Back to Foghorn Leghorn. Do as suggested it is a great reply.
Yes sir. Right away SIR.

@Buzzard2010:
Maybe if you could explain why I need to explain myself to you? This isn't the place for a in-depth discussion of the increasingly disrespectful attitude prevalent on web forums, but one is required somewhere. People don't have to respond, yet seem to take offence when their advice is deemed insufficient. If I wanted to turn off my software firewall, I would. At the moment, it serves a good purpose in that I can keep an easy eye on login attempts and other unwanted traffic. Other than that, I just feel happier having it on. Do you want this to become a thread on whether or not a secondary, software firewall is warranted, or do you just want to have an honest bash at my question?

I really shouldn't have to beg to have my question respected. Try to look at it from my perspective. And if no-one here is willing to be pleasant and actually have a stab at the question, I'll happily give up now, delete my account, and try a different forum or support channel. Anything not to have to kowtow to other people's ideas without good reason.

S.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.