Windows 7 on a Mac

Reaction score
Hey
I'm absolute newbie on MAC so this might be some stupid questions:)

Do I need a Win7 license to be able to run win7 from VMware Fusion or Parallels?

Furthermore would it be necessary to buy a antivirus program? Both a Windows version and a MAC version?

For PC I use MalwareBytes to get rid of spyware. Is spyware a problem on MAC and what program would do the MalwareBytes job on a MAC.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey
I'm absolute newbie on MAC so this might be some stupid questions:)

Do I need a Win7 license to be able to run win7 from VMware Fusion or Parallels?

Yes. Any time you want to run Windows, you need to own a license.

Furthermore would it be necessary to buy a antivirus program? Both a Windows version and a MAC version?

If you're running Windows, it's advisable to run an anti-virus product on it. On Mac OS X you probably don't need any kind of anti-virus product as there are so few malware products for the Mac. But there are so many opinions on this, we could easily dedicate another thread to the discussion. As a matter of fact, we already have one. See here.

For PC I use MalwareBytes to get rid of spyware. Is spyware a problem on MAC and what program would do the MalwareBytes job on a MAC.

I like Malwarebytes on Windows as well. I have yet to encounter any type of spyware/adware, etc on a Mac so I haven't bothered to look for something equivalent on the Mac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
edit: cwa beat me to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When online in your Windows 7 partition, download Microsoft Security Essentials and keep it up to date. It is freeware and quite good.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

I have bought licenses for DVDFAB + Tunebite both for windows.

Would there be a problem running these from a virtuel Windows 7?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Many member ask the question about viruses and malware on the Mac and in addition to using the search function at the top of the forum, you'll find almost all your answers here:

Official Antivirus, Malware, and Firewall FAQ

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for the response.

I have bought licenses for DVDFAB + Tunebite both for windows.

Would there be a problem running these from a virtuel Windows 7?

Although I haven't played around with either product, I don't see any reason you'd have a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.