Web pages/browsers freeze

Reaction score
WEB PAGES / BROWSERS FREEZE

This has been driving me nuts. I've exhausted all research angles I can think of so I'm making my first post to a forum like this.

I have an iMac 8,1 with Intel Duo 2-core processor running OSX 10.5.8, connected to Exetel ADSL2 with a router; also connected is an iBook G4 with Power PC processor running OSX 4.11. Both machines are experiencing the same problem.

I use mostly Safari but also Google Chrome and Firefox. Google is the search engine in all cases.

Increasingly over recent months I have been unable to access more than the first (home) page of larger web-sites, although sometimes I can get to the second-level page (first click-through). I can sometimes advance past the first “freeze” by copying the address line then launching another browser and pasting address line into it. It only works once with each site, though.

It’s not actually the browser that freezes but the page, because I can go to e.g. a favorite site just by entering command+number, no problem.

Sites affected include e-Bay, Amazon, qantas, even Apple tech-help pages, where I can get onto a forum but then cannot go to next or back to previous page. I cannot send an e-mail from within my ISP’s web-site. I cannot get an answer to searches in some discussion forums and of course I cannot post to them. The list is endless. The browser message I get is “Contacting xzy.com” or similar, depending on the browser used. Eventually the link times out.

I have trawled Whirlpool and the web for days looking for a solution and have followed many suggestions: rebooting the computer, relaunching browsers, unplugging the ADSL connection, turning off and back on the modem after 2 hours, changing DNS numbers, running namebench and following suggestions, emptying caches, sending cookies to the trash - nothing makes the slightest difference.

Do I have latest versions of all software? Check.

I have downloaded and run OnyX, selecting every available clean-out button - a total scrub.

Flash Player has been uninstalled and nothing changed.

Disabling javascript just means I can’t access the web-sites (and gmail) anyway, and seems like amputating a leg to fix a broken ankle.

System configuration folder from Library trashed - no change. (I have never accessed ESPN.)

My ISP has helped me run ping and traceroute tests, which generally test OK however on the sites that freeze the browser, I cannot get a ping. The result is “does not recognise host” which seems odd as it always occurs several pages into the site.

I am now at the point where my internet service is usable for little other than for e-mail.

I will be grateful for any help.

doverdave

OP
D
Reaction score
Hallelujah brothers and sisters I fixed the wretched thing myself - well, with some help. I see a number of people have looked at my problem so you may be having the same or a similar problem.

Here's the fix:

System prefs / network / advanced / ethernet / configure choose manually / MTU choose manual / change from 1500 to 1400 and apply.

If this doesn't work, or your Network Prefs panel tells you Ethernet is disconnected, try 1300 and 1600 and others incrementally by 100.

If it doesn't work restore Automatic configuration. Bon chance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Appreciate the post back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.