• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How to make friends with Airport

Reaction score
I was feeling bored one day and decided to place a text file in my shared folder named "Important Secrets" in which I wrote "Shouldn't you be working instead of snooping around?". Since I live in a dorm, I expected to catch other tenants who shared the building's network.

Lo and behold, somebody knocked at my door the next day and told me he had seen the message and thought it was pretty hilarious. We became good friends.

Just wanted to share this heartwarming story with you all. :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Shouldn't you start to use strong encryption for your wireless connection? ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Back when I started college in '98 our school had just recently installed high speed connections in the dorms. The only problem (depending on your point of view) was that the files of every computer hooked up to the network could be accessed unless you locked your files down.

I can't imagine how many music and video files I snatched from other people's computers.When I was bored I would read other people's homework, resumes, email, etc.

Good times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I can't imagine how many music and video files I snatched from other people's computers.When I was bored I would read other people's homework, resumes, email, etc.

Good times.

That, good sir, is known as a "win". I look forward to all the things I may find on the network.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Funny story. When I was in school internet connection was a constant source of conflict (certainly not a friend finder) as it always tied up our only phone line!! I used to take a paper clip to the phone jack in my room and short the wires together to kick my roommate offline. :) Of course - that's better than things I had thought about - which included pulsing the line to zap his modem. :)

Reaction score
I highly encrypted my WiFi network in my dorm…but I could still see other Mac's on the network. I'm sure people snooped on me. :D

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Funny story. When I was in school internet connection was a constant source of conflict (certainly not a friend finder) as it always tied up our only phone line!! I used to take a paper clip to the phone jack in my room and short the wires together to kick my roommate offline. :) Of course - that's better than things I had thought about - which included pulsing the line to zap his modem. :)

haha that did make me laugh.

no one on my network has anything of any interest, one had an empty folder named "ha".

but there is a macbook that someone named "armbook", which made me lol a little bit aswell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.