MBP Wireless Issue?

Reaction score
Hi all, a rare post from me, although I do lurk – I hope someone can help. I have a problem with my 2009 MBP connecting wirelessly to the internet.

On waking, I have no bars in the airport indicator (greyed out) in the top menu bar – says 'Airport not configured'

On opening network preferences, the menu on the left has two items – the one at the top shows 'Ethernet – not connected', below is 'PCI Eth..., Port 2 – on, with a blue airport icon next to it.

Status says 'PCI Ethernet Slot unknown, Port 2 is turned on but is not connected to a network'

If I select my network through 'Network name' menu (currently shows 'no network selected'), the status changes to 'On, PCI Ethernet Slot unknown, port 2 does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet'.

Sometimes this will change, PCI Eth...,Port 2 jumps to the top with a green light and internet works fine.

Other times it does as above, but comes up with 'PCI Ethernet Slot unknown, Port 2 has the self-assigned IP address XXX.XXX.XX.XXX and will not be able to connect to the internet', and the airport icon in the top menu changes to grey with an exclamation mark, and no internet.

I have no problems with my Xbox connecting with the wireless router, which made me think it must be the MBP. But joining BT Openzone works fine – I get the green 'connected' light and a black airport signal, which makes me think it is the router! If I connect the MBP with an ethernet cable, again, no problems. On waking from sleep have to go through same process all over again. Is this a fault with the macbook, and if so, what?

All help most appreciated – if the answer is already here, sorry, I missed it, and would appreciate a link.

Thanks

Chris

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to appropriate forum.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Bump! Any help anyone - getting desperate here - seen lots of people across various sources with similar problems, but no-one seems to know what to do!

Help would be gratefully received

Chris

Hi all, a rare post from me, although I do lurk – I hope someone can help. I have a problem with my 2009 MBP connecting wirelessly to the internet.

On waking, I have no bars in the airport indicator (greyed out) in the top menu bar – says 'Airport not configured'

On opening network preferences, the menu on the left has two items – the one at the top shows 'Ethernet – not connected', below is 'PCI Eth..., Port 2 – on, with a blue airport icon next to it.

Status says 'PCI Ethernet Slot unknown, Port 2 is turned on but is not connected to a network'

If I select my network through 'Network name' menu (currently shows 'no network selected'), the status changes to 'On, PCI Ethernet Slot unknown, port 2 does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet'.

Sometimes this will change, PCI Eth...,Port 2 jumps to the top with a green light and internet works fine.

Other times it does as above, but comes up with 'PCI Ethernet Slot unknown, Port 2 has the self-assigned IP address XXX.XXX.XX.XXX and will not be able to connect to the internet', and the airport icon in the top menu changes to grey with an exclamation mark, and no internet.

I have no problems with my Xbox connecting with the wireless router, which made me think it must be the MBP. But joining BT Openzone works fine – I get the green 'connected' light and a black airport signal, which makes me think it is the router! If I connect the MBP with an ethernet cable, again, no problems. On waking from sleep have to go through same process all over again. Is this a fault with the macbook, and if so, what?

All help most appreciated – if the answer is already here, sorry, I missed it, and would appreciate a link.

Thanks

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried deleting your wireless name and settings and re-enter on the MBP?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.