• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone 4 survives 1,000 foot fall from Air Force plane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
That is freakin awesome :)

- Simon

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'd be curious, what the results would have been had the iPhone hit pavement instead. :p The article does say it was retrieved from the woods.

Good thing it didn't fall on someone. :p

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'd be curious, what the results would have been had the iPhone hit pavement instead. :p The article does say it was retrieved from the woods.

Good thing it didn't fall on someone. :p

My thought as well. Glad he got his phone back - but wonder if Airman Walker's superiors have gotten wind of this story yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
great story!!

makes me want to use a case now..i always use a naked iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What would be cool is if it could survive a regular fall on ground(not bouncing off leaves/ branches, and landing on who knows what) from even a 5 feet drop. Otherwise, clearly, this story is kind of irrelevant to the phones real rigidness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The story is really just a fluff piece, I don't know why anyone would view it as anything otherwise. I think that what should be focused on is the find my iPhone feature, which apparently worked very well in this case.

People have dropped their iPhone 4 from hip distance, causing the glass to shatter, so what we've got here is a case of simple physics. From 1000 feet, the phone, when it reaches maximum velocity, is still likely spinning or turning, and by the time it reaches near the ground, it is passing through trees, and if it manages to turn from a corner angle to one which puts it in a flat position, the air will cushion it further... Not to mention the case on the phone, that also has an effect on the amount of friction, and also helps keep the impact points better protected so that it's held tighter.

Would be the same chance of luck for any phone. Less so however, for those older round-ish non smart phones I'd imagine.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.