??How to: delete/erase "Apple Hot News"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (mid 2010) OS 10.13.6
Today a large group of "Apple Hot News" emails appeared in my mail inbox on my Mac. I had thought I had deleted them as they came in during this month.
There are 19 of them dated from March 2 through March 22.

I tried edit, select all, delete. and they would wind up in my mail client trash and I would empty that trash. Then they came back into (showed up in) the 'on my Mac' trash basket on the email page. So I dragged each one into the mail client trash basket and emptied that basket.... checked both trash baskets - empty. :) Went to the inbox - empty. :) And then I clicked 'Get Mail' and every one of them appeared back in my inbox. :Angry-Tongue:

What am I doing wrong and how do I get rid of them permanently?? :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Are you using Gmail? It could be an issue with your POP/IMAP configuration. If it is a Gmail account, log in via the web interface. On the top right once you logged into Gmail you'll see a little gear icon that represents your settings. Click on that, and then go to the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" section. Under POP click on "Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on".

Does this solve your problem?

edit: There should be similar setting options for other mail services, depending on which one you are using.

OP
talleyJudy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the response.

I am using the mail service provided by my ISP. I looked at the preferences of mail on my Mac and incoming setting is shown as pop.pressenter (which is my ISP). I've had this new MacBook since mid December and this is the first time that these 'Apple News' things have accumulated and that I have not been able to get rid of them.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
In Mail, click Mail>preferences>accounts>mailbox behaviors. Look down to 'trash' and check the box 'move deleted messages to the trash mailbox'. Then click the 'advanced' tab' and check the box by 'remove copy from server after retrieving a message'. Then select an option in the box on the next line.

This might do the trick.

Larry H

OP
talleyJudy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This morning the 'problem' seems to be resolved.

Coincidentally yesterday I was doing 'battery calibration' (for the very first time ever). When the battery was down to 30 minutes I again put all the "Apple Hot News" into the pressenter trash basket, emptied that basket, and quit mail.
When the battery dialog box dropped down I clicked ok and closed the lid.
After about 4hrs. I attached the power cord and I went to bed.
'Woke it up' this morning, got mail, and NO "Apple Hot News" in the inbox!! Looked through all the other mail boxes and NO "Apple Hot News" anywhere!!!

Also this morning I went to mail preferences, to rules and found Apple Hot News listed there with a check mark beside it.....I removed the check mark.
So we will see what the nest few days bring.

Thank you to all who responded.

C

chas_m

Until you unchecked that box, you would have gotten some more "Apple Hot News" when they had more to give you. They are so hot right now. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.