Employability?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/11 17" MBP 8g/500 Glossy, IPod Touch 4thgen 8gig, 32Gig Verizon 3G + WiFi IPadII
Does anyone have any kind of a list of companies that are Mac-intensive or Mac-heavy that consistantly ask for employees or contractors who use Macs?

Under my thread Adder... I noted my pending MBP purchase. It occurred to me if I become proficient in Mac and related software I might just add it to my resume. Of course not for a support position because some reading indicates that kind of demand would probably be 10-20% of what MS shops need. However, I'm wondering if becoming a Filemaker Pro user or programmer might generate new job opportunities?

I'm already assuming that the publishing world, advertising, Hollywood and certain sectors of web sites are Mac-heavy. How about more mainstream production or service oriented businesses? Or even, not using the Mac for anything other than a desktop for email, comms, calendar, organizer stuff?

C

chas_m

I can't think of any "mainstream" industry you didn't already mention that is particularly Mac-heavy, but Macs are very much on equal footing with PCs in terms of business suitability so a lot of small businesses adopt them. My dentist, for example, is all-Mac.

Most industries and businesses of reasonable size have a graphics department, and they generally use Macs -- but this gets back to either graphic arts/publishing or maintenance.

The FileMaker Pro market, like the Mac technician market, is VERY LUCRATIVE. These days, of course, the fast money is in iOS programming -- it can be *extremely* lucrative if you can come up with an original idea or one-up an unoriginal idea. :)

Hope that gives you some ideas. Cheers!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I have been trying to get a job with Macs for a while, and it seems that you need decent qualifications in I.T or computer areas to stand a chance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
A lot of public schools are Mac based as well.

-MikeM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.