I've Done it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
After MANY years of being a DOS then a WIndows user, I ordered my first Mac this morning! So excited. :)

This is what i ordered:

2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

I ordered a (slow) spinning hard disk. Later in the year, when larger drives become affordable, I plan on purchasing an SSD.

I have two programs that require Windows. I don't think a 128 SSD would be large enough for two OSs.

The last two laptops I owned had anti-glare screen. The one prior that them had a glossy screen. That is the only think I am apprehensive about. I sure it will be fine!

So, thats it. Now I have to figure out how to use the darn thing :)

Monty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Hi and welcome. Great machine your getting - you're going to love it.

As for your glossy screen concerns... my wife, who has a macbook, was recently reading an article on the merits of glossy and matt displays. Turning to me she asked "Which one do I have?". So I guess you'll probably not be bothered by it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Congrats! Let us know when you get it...and what your initial experiences are.:)

- Nick

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats! Let us know when you get it...and what your initial experiences are.:)

- Nick

Will do Nick, I'll already looking for the UPS truck :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Congrats,
I am sure you are going to luv it.

DavidHH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Ah waiting the hardest part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
Once you got Mac you're never coming back!!!

Reaction score
I agree with the "never going back". Switched 2 years ago after 22 years of Windows-based. Have absolutely no interest of ever going back. ;D

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So excited!
The MBP shipped this morning. FedEx says I should receive it Monday. I don't plan on getting any work done on Monday :)

Reaction score
Me too!

My MacBook Pro is on it's way! According to FedEx it was in Salt Lake City this morning, with an estimated delivery date of Saturday. We are having a heck of a storm here in NorCal ... I hope there are no weather delays!

I have been Windows-based since the beginning of time and I'm really looking forward to something different.

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. Be fun to compare how we feel about our new toys!

My MacBook Pro is on it's way! According to FedEx it was in Salt Lake City this morning, with an estimated delivery date of Saturday. We are having a heck of a storm here in NorCal ... I hope there are no weather delays!

I have been Windows-based since the beginning of time and I'm really looking forward to something different.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I don't plan on getting any work done on Monday :)

How is this different than normal!;)

- Nick

p.s. Sorry...couldn't resist!:)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Personally, I prefer the matte screen. Glossy is fine on a desktop where lighting conditions will rarely change, but on a notebook that's going to be under changing light conditions, it's kind of irritating. Some people like how sharp and bright things look with the glossy, but the reflection is a big issue for me since I have to look at video very carefully and if an image is mostly dark, all I see is myself staring right back at me and I have to swivel around to see properly. Seriously, it's basically a mirror.

BUT... you might dig it.

Reaction score
I just switched as well. I bought the Macbook Pro 13" base since I'm a Computer Science college student and I don't necessarily need (or can afford) an amazingly souped up model. I have always been a linux/Windows user, but this macbook has really shown me the other side of computing. I haven't had a chance to work with xCode 4 just yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing how much different it is! The only question I am asking myself as of right now is whether or not I should upgrade to the i7 for future-proofing when I return it (dead pixel D:)

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only question I am asking myself as of right now is whether or not I should upgrade to the i7 for future-proofing when I return it (dead pixel D:)

That is one major reason why I went with a 15"

Reaction score
Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. Be fun to compare how we feel about our new toys!

I have a feeling I won't receive my shipment until the end of this coming week. Highway 80 is closed in Nevada due to weather. Waaaahhhhh!

Reaction score
That is one major reason why I went with a 15"

I really thought about upgrading to the 15", but with the workload I have now, I think the i5 is going to be fine. I have a desktop for all of my bigger programs, so I'll probably wait until the 2012 pro to make the big price jump. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.