Is AIRPORT card a must??

M

meirl

Hello.
I have a PB PISMO and I want to go wireless....
My question is: Do I have to (...buy) and install an AIRPORT card fot this task or can I try other options like wirless PCMCI card or wireless USB that are available for PC's ?
If other options are ok can anyone recomend on a prefferd option and brand.
Thanks for any comments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Call MacMAll or MacConnection. If their Mac person is able recommend a different solution, then you should feel safe getting it. If it's just a cost thing you're worried about, consider the TCO that Apple prides itself on. Their stuff has built in features that work with their stuff. If you don't mind spending your time on getting other stuff to work then by all means. Try something else.

If the item that you purchase through MacMall or MacConnection doesn't work they will 99% of the time take it back if they recommended it for Mac.

If I were you I'd pony up for the Airport.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
meirl said:
Hello.
I have a PB PISMO and I want to go wireless....
My question is: Do I have to (...buy) and install an AIRPORT card fot this task or can I try other options like wirless PCMCI card or wireless USB that are available for PC's ?
If other options are ok can anyone recomend on a prefferd option and brand.
Thanks for any comments.
Any PC card that uses the Broadcom chipset will work with the airport software with no drivers or hacks in OS 10.2 and OS 10.3 (I don't know about 10.4). The trick is figuring out which cards use that chipset. Check out the card at www.wegenermedia.com its ~$30. I think Sonnet also makes a mac compatible wireless pc card.

The 3 biggest benefits of using the airport card are that the antenna is built in, you don't have to remove the card when you want to carry your Pismo around and it leaves your PC card slot open for other stuff like USB 2.0 or Firewire 800 cards. I guess it sort of depends on how much those things matter to you. also as mentioned in the earlier post apple could decide not to support third party cards and then you'd either be stuck with an older OS or a card that doesn't work.

www.macofalltrades.com usually has airport cards for ~$75.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.