• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Samsung Debuts Honeycomb-flavored iPad2 Lookalike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Samsung's new Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 get some competitive price tags, starts at $469 -- Engadget

After seeing the iPad2, Samsung went back to the drawing board and hastily churned out a lookalike with a thinness and weight that best the iPad2, but are so slight they likely aren't noticeable to anyone. This is major design change from what they debuted at MWC and it will be interesting to see if they can go from mock-up to full production by the June 8 promised release date.

This is exactly what Jobs was referring to when he said "year of the copycats". Samsung literally went and copied the iPad2 after it was announced.

As usual, the comments are better than the actual article. Android fans, once ripping Apple for only making "marginal changes" are now actually thanking Apple for pushing such a leap in design.

Reaction score
Nice to see some competition. Keeps things healthy, and thus far there hasn't been any competition whatsoever for the iPad. I'm not sure if this will be competition as far as using it, never tried Android... but having something in the same price range in the end, will be good for Apple, and iPad users :)

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I agree, it's definitely good as it'll push Apple to higher specs. It's just funny to see the competition consumer base, completely bashing Apple and iPad2 over the past 2 weeks, now thanking Apple making such an amazing design real, and a real possibility to the competitors to produce as well.

Between this, their Galaxy Players (answer to Touch) and the ultra-thin Series 9 laptop (answer to the MBA), Samsung is really gunning for Apple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I hate to say this but, (well, no I don't) I seriously doubt that the still non working (since it has no innards) Samsung body was produced this late in the game as some people have asserted. They had to have had this in the game plan and in production for quite some time, unless they're total blithering idiots.

That said, I welcome this move a LOT. If this doesn't push competition, nothing will. I think it would be funny, given the price point Samsung is looking at for these new models, if Apple decided to really up their game for the iPad 3, then went ahead and raised prices to just throw everybody totally off and really play some serious head games with the market. I'd lol a bunch.

And now.. I really do have to wait before purchasing a tablet. I want to see what happens next year. New iMac first, then tablet. I'm also waiting to see what happens with Google and their ridiculous policy for security.

Doug

Reaction score
DecentFreeApp.com
16 hours ago
In general perspective, iOS is geared toward regular folks and Android for geeks or should I say the more advanced group in terms of gadget. An iPhone & iPad user here, the iOS jailbreak is having a hard time catching up with iOS rapid updates, no jailbreak = Apple garden = no fun.

Now, the Xoom & Tab both the specs and pricing are competitive, looks like it is time to look into Honeycomb. Any Honeycomb early adopters care to comment how is the apps for Honeycomb? A good tablet without good apps is no fun either.

The post above was one of the coments from the link u gave us. I don't think this guy has seen the dent in my wallet from all my gadgets. Apple fans aren't geeky enough? Whew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.