Bad Memory

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am trying to locate problems of a Mac Pro (Power PC 2.7G, 4GB RAM). This computer has been an awesome machine for my work since 2005. Just now, it starts to show some funky manners.

1. How do you know when the memory chips have gone bad?
2. How do you know when the graphic card has gone bad?

Thank You

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just now, it starts to show some funky manners.

Describe what you mean by "funky manners"...and maybe we can narrow things down to what the problem could be.

- Nick

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
tell tale signs of a dead/dying graphics card: constant graphic glitches, or patterns coming across the screen.

tell tale signs of bad RAM: frequent kernel panics, issues booting.

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score
tell tale signs of a dead/dying graphics card: constant graphic glitches, or patterns coming across the screen.

tell tale signs of bad RAM: frequent kernel panics, issues booting.

OK it isn't the graphic card then.

It doesn't boot up. I got nothing on the display. Sometimes I have to wait days. Then it will boot up. In the pass few days, I will draw a line and it would go to sleep. I have to log in again and again. I would never knew what trickers it all the sudden it would quit.

I shut it off yesterday and today no luck yet so far.

I couldn't reinstall my Photoshop. Is that has anything to do with it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK it isn't the graphic card then.

It doesn't boot up. I got nothing on the display. Sometimes I have to wait days. Then it will boot up. In the pass few days, I will draw a line and it would go to sleep. I have to log in again and again. I would never knew what trickers it all the sudden it would quit.

I shut it off yesterday and today no luck yet so far.

Have you tried booting this computer from a Mac OS install CD/DVD?

If the computer will boot from a CD/DVD...and not from the hard drive...then your hard drive could be dead (or almost dead).

- Nick

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score
Have you tried booting this computer from a Mac OS install CD/DVD?

If the computer will boot from a CD/DVD...and not from the hard drive...then your hard drive could be dead (or almost dead).

- Nick

Not yet. I will if I get it to boot up next time.

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score
Another thing is, it won't stay sleep. I didn't want to power down so I would put it to sleep. Most of the time it will wake it self up. Sometimes I've had to do it 3-4-5 times to put it to sleep and all the sudden in the middle of the night it would wake itself up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not yet. I will if I get it to boot up next time.

That's not really the way it works. You can boot the computer from an OS install CD/DVD anytime...you don't have to wait for it to boot from the hard drive. In fact...if the hard drive is currently completely dead...it will never boot from the hard drive.

- Nick

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score
That's not really the way it works. You can boot the computer from an OS install CD/DVD anytime...you don't have to wait for it to boot from the hard drive. In fact...if the hard drive is currently completely dead...it will never boot from the hard drive.

- Nick

Yes, Nick. I can't get the CD tray to open when it's not booted up. When I power on. It sounds like the computer is working but I have nothing on the display and the keyboard is not working.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Nick. I can't get the CD tray to open when it's not booted up. When I power on. It sounds like the computer is working but I have nothing on the display and the keyboard is not working.

hold down the mouse button at startup :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Like "robduckyworth" mentioned...you can hold down the mouse button on startup...and this will open the CD/DVD drive tray.

And (if you have an Apple keyboard), in the upper right area of the keyboard...there's a key with a triangle symbol with a horizontal line under the triangle...that when depressed...also opens the CD/DVD tray.

- Nick

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score
I have been using Mac for 20 years, I have 14 Macs and never once have to start up with the mouse but thank you. I will try this option. As far as the triangle thing, I'll see if I can find it.

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score
I didn't mean to be rude. What I meant is if I can't get the keyboard to work then I can't open the tray. I didn't know about the mouse option after all these years. Never have to use it that way. I am very familiar with all Macs. Sent 20 years with them. I have a design studio. I take good care of my machines and never have had this unfamiliar problem. Never have any of them go out on me except one of my older G4. The rest are still working very well. Even with my G3.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't mean to be rude.

Didn't think you were :) let us know how you get on, lets see whether that drive is past it's prime or not.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't mean to be rude. What I meant is if I can't get the keyboard to work then I can't open the tray. I didn't know about the mouse option after all these years. Never have to use it that way. I am very familiar with all Macs. Sent 20 years with them. I have a design studio. I take good care of my machines and never have had this unfamiliar problem. Never have any of them go out on me except one of my older G4. The rest are still working very well. Even with my G3.

I didn't think you were being rude either.:)

Regarding your Macintosh experience. Hey lots of great experience there...but like with most things in life...if you've never run into a specific problem...you generally never needed to know what the solution is.

It sounds to me from the info so far...that you may have a dead or dying hard drive. This is just something that happens...no way of predicting it. This is why I was suggesting booting from a Mac OS CD/DVD.

If you can successfully boot from a CD/DVD...and not from the hard drive (at least not in the normal amount of time)...then the hard drive is dead/dying...or there could possibly be some sort of data or OS corruption on the hard drive (which a reinstall of the OS may solve).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been using Mac for 20 years, I have 14 Macs and never once have to start up with the mouse but thank you. I will try this option. As far as the triangle thing, I'll see if I can find it.

By the way...there is yet a 3rd way to open up the CD/DVD drive tray without being able to boot from the hard drive.

On a Powermac G5:

- With your fingers...you manually slide down the aluminum door where the optical drive tray comes out.
- Thru the opening (may need a flashlight to see)..you should see a small hole (left side of the optical drive) that a straightened paperclip will fit into.
- insert a straightened paperclip into the hole & push...and the CD/DVD drive tray will slide out.
- you need to tug on it gently to get it all the way out

Now you can insert your OS install CD/DVD...press the power button on the computer...then hold down the "c" key on the keyboard to auto-boot from the OS disk in the optical drive.

- Nick

p.s. I just did this on my Powermac G5...no problems.:)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it is not a Mac Pro with 2.7GHz, and sounds like a Dual processor G5. These models are liquid cooled and coolant leaks lead to the problems you are describing. This is what to look for:-

PowerMac G5 Coolant Leaks/Repairs

I was thinking it might be a G5.... certainly no Power PC Mac Pros. lets hope it's not leaked, cause that spells disaster.

OP
bludebkk
Reaction score
Well, no luck.
Tried to boot it up this morning. Got white screen with Apple. Both Keyboard and mouse don't work. Just like every other times, I can hear the fans start going up and up. I powered it down.

What do you think? Has this one seen better days? I hate to waste a good hardware. I don't know if it's a wise choice to try and fix it. Being the Power PC and all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.