• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help - someone broke in my computer

Reaction score
I don't know what to do. I have a Mac Book Pro and was told I didn't need a virus killer. Today I could not get into my email account and now cannot get into 3 different bank accounts. My Net flix account also sent me an email that I had watch a movie that I never watched. I an fantic and don't know what to do.

Denise

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A virus has nothing to do with your problems. Someone has stolen your password(s) and possibly changed it (them). You had better contact your bank by phone and also someone at Netflix and let them know.

OP
T
Reaction score
How did they get them and how do I prevent it from happening again?
Thanks for your help
Den

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you used a weak password, it would be easy to crack. The best protection is a program like 1Password which can generate and memorize all your passwords. And change your passwords at least several times or more a year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7 iMac 12Gb Ram OS X 10.8.5 / 10.10
How did they get them and how do I prevent it from happening again?
Thanks for your help
Den

Its possible its someone you know maybe a friend, family member or work colleague perhaps.

Once you get it sorted out, change all your passwords for all accounts you have and make them strong, as mentioned, 1Password is a great app for doing this sort of thing.

Also, never tell ANYONE your passwords.

Good luck.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you used a weak password, it would be easy to crack. The best protection is a program like 1Password which can generate and memorize all your passwords. And change your passwords at least several times or more a year.

At the very least don't use one password for everything. And if your password doesn't contain any changes of case, and a mix of numbers and special characters (like $%&*(_!@ ), it's extremely easy to crack.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Its possible its someone you know maybe a friend, family member or work colleague perhaps.

Once you get it sorted out, change all your passwords for all accounts you have and make them strong, as mentioned, 1Password is a great app for doing this sort of thing.

Also, never tell ANYONE your passwords.

Good luck.

Actually - change all of your passwords immediately - and then set about trying to get everything sorted out. Will help mitigate the extent of the damage.

+1 on 1Password. What a great application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
One of the difficulties in creating strong passwords is trying to remember them later. One trick that is often recommended is a pass phrase, a piece of information that can be converted into a secure password. Use a phrase that has meaning to you, like "My bowling average is 230, but I'm working on it," and use the first letter of each word - Mbai230bIwoi. You have a secure password, easy to remember because the phrase is easy to remember, virtually invulnerable to a dictionary attack, and long enough a brute force attack would be fairly useless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
One of the difficulties in creating strong passwords is trying to remember them later. One trick that is often recommended is a pass phrase, a piece of information that can be converted into a secure password. Use a phrase that has meaning to you, like "My bowling average is 230, but I'm working on it," and use the first letter of each word - Mbai230bIwoi. You have a secure password, easy to remember because the phrase is easy to remember, virtually invulnerable to a dictionary attack, and long enough a brute force attack would be fairly useless.

Nice tip..I like that..^^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7 iMac 12Gb Ram OS X 10.8.5 / 10.10
Actually - change all of your passwords immediately - and then set about trying to get everything sorted out.

Good point BrianLachoreVPI but, if someone has already changed the passwords it will be very difficult for TheDen to do that without contacting
all the services that he has an account with and asking them to reset the passwords, then he can go about changing them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.