where are the DJ's at?

Reaction score
i am a beginner with this hobby but it was my main reason for buying my MBP (besides just really really wanting one for other various reasons)...

i have no idea what kind of turntables to purchase and it is a pretty big investment so i would love some opinions.. i do not know if i should go with regular old school looking turntables or to go with a CDJ type such as the type Pioneer offers (have my mind set on the Pioneer brand)

a friend recommended these
Amazon.com: TECHNICS SL-1200MK2 Turntable: Electronics

and another recommended something like these
Amazon.com: Pioneer CDJ1000MK2 Digital Vinyl Turntable CD Player: Electronics

i imagine turntables alone will cost me over $2,000... then i still want to purchase Serato Scratch Live .. aye yi yi

OP
B
Reaction score
Well first decide if you want to go vinyl or CDJ. After that then decide.

Both those options that you posted are great. The TT is a industry standard and **** near a legend in its own right but the pioneers are some of the best in the industry as well and known to be the best for CDJing.

Serato would be a sweet setup with either one of those. After that you just need a decent mixer. If your mainly going to be doing scratching/spinning then awesome any 2 channel DJ mixer should be fine to start out with.

If you do make sure that the crossfader can be replaced. Some cost more than others but if you get one that pops in and out it saves you headaches and money in the long run even if they cost a bit more upfront. And they usually last longer.

awesome dude, thank you! which would u recommend though? a cdj set or a vinyl? i know the vinyl is a classic and a legend but i hear cdj is better since u dont need to carry around vinyls/crates.. cdjs seem to work better for me since i have thousands of mp3s and cds.. plus i have friends who use cdjs i think i could get pointers from... well i think i just answered my own question haha now just to find a way to raise the money.. eeek

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.25Ghz G4 1gb RAM, Mac Pro G5 Dual 1.8GHz 4GB RAM, MacBook Air 1.6 GHz Core2 Duo 2GB RAM
Unless you are made of money and a bit of a collecting geek, buying vinyl in the 21st century if you are just starting is madness.

Reaction score
Get technics, and use Serato or Traktor. This way you can still buy all the good stuff that comes out on vinyl (all the good stuff still comes out on vinyl only) It's just nice to learn with records, you learn to appreciate the music more when you're holding it in your hands...chicks dig it too:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
... buying vinyl in the 21st century if you are just starting is madness.

I tell this to all my friends who want to start djing when they see me dj with vinyl. Been collecting vinyl since I was 16... now 41.
Record collecting is a DRUG!!! ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.