• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Stores accepting old iPad donations for Teach for America

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I just came across this story, but as usual the8thark got there first ;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
While I'm glad Apple is supporting this effort, it would be nice if they offered some kind of financial incentive. Maybe a coupon for a few bucks off an iPad 2 to encourage donations? I don't mean to be critical, but considering the iPad is so new, I'd reckon not a lot of people have one that is "unused", especially given the timing of the announcement, right around the iPad 2 release when they know everyone and their brother will be upgrading to get the latest and greatest.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
While I'm glad Apple is supporting this effort, it would be nice if they offered some kind of financial incentive. Maybe a coupon for a few bucks off an iPad 2 to encourage donations? I don't mean to be critical, but considering the iPad is so new, I'd reckon not a lot of people have one that is "unused",

I kinda was thinking the same thing. The first iPad still has a lot of value, it's not a product like eyeglasses or an old cellphone that you can toss in a donation bin at the grocery store. If Apple really thinks people can part with an iPad so easily, I think they can pony up some incentives, at least!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Well, I know in the U.S. that donations like this can be deducted from your taxable income when you file your taxes. But you have to have a receipt and I'm not sure how one determines the value of the donated item. Hmm...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I am sure if Apple have the donation option in place they must have an idea of the market value of an ipad one and will give you a receipt

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I like the "old" part - considering none of them are even out of warranty yet.

Got a couple of weeks to go, still trying to decide if I want to spring the $100 to extend the warranty on mine or not.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, I know in the U.S. that donations like this can be deducted from your taxable income when you file your taxes. But you have to have a receipt and I'm not sure how one determines the value of the donated item. Hmm...

Yeah, but generally it's got to be valued over $250 or so to yield any kind of tax benefit. And even then, it's just a few bucks - it's not like you're going to see the $300-400 you would if you sold it on eBay/Craigslist.

Reaction score
I like the "old" part - considering none of them are even out of warranty yet.

Got a couple of weeks to go, still trying to decide if I want to spring the $100 to extend the warranty on mine or not.

Personally I would.

I think if I had a iPad that I could just donate I have plenty of friends and family that could benefit. When I upgrade to a new computer I usually donate the old to a teenager in the family that could use it for school.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.