• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

traveling with apple products

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I don't know where exactly this fits but i am going to be flying for spring break and i was wondering if anyone has had trouble flying with a lot of apple products. i am looking to take 5 ipods,macbook pro, magic mouse, keyboard and the apple remote. I am looking to take them in the passenger compartment, do you think i am going to have issues with security?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
If you're flying out of the country - possibly - but I don't see that causing you any problems for a domestic flight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Are they the same type of iPod? Anytime you have multiples of something you will probably arouse suspicion - but if you are talking a nano, a shuffle, a classic, a touch, and an iPhone then you are probably alright.

I carry around a lot of electronics with me and haven't had any problem. Generally I have an iPhone, an old shuffle, a few mice of different makes, a bunch of flash drives, a bunch of usb/firewire disks, a few networking devices (a portable router and a mifi) and my MBP. I pull the MBP out as requested but everything else stays in the bag with no problems. The only thing that I have ever been pulled for is a bag of coins I carry with me in case of parking/tolls/etc. If you have enough - it ends up looking like a black blob to the scanners - so they usually pull that out just to make sure it is coins. I have just bought an iPad but that hasn't been delivered yet - but that will be added to the mix.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
last year all i took was my old compaq and my nano. Now i am looking to take the macbook pro a 5th gen nano,3rd gen nano, 4th gen shuffle and an iphone 4. I wanted to make sure that they wouldn't take them apart or anything. .
Are they the same type of iPod? Anytime you have multiples of something you will probably arouse suspicion - but if you are talking a nano, a shuffle, a classic, a touch, and an iPhone then you are probably alright.

I carry around a lot of electronics with me and haven't had any problem. Generally I have an iPhone, an old shuffle, a few mice of different makes, a bunch of flash drives, a bunch of usb/firewire disks, a few networking devices (a portable router and a mifi) and my MBP. I pull the MBP out as requested but everything else stays in the bag with no problems. The only thing that I have ever been pulled for is a bag of coins I carry with me in case of parking/tolls/etc. If you have enough - it ends up looking like a black blob to the scanners - so they usually pull that out just to make sure it is coins. I have just bought an iPad but that hasn't been delivered yet - but that will be added to the mix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
last year all i took was my old compaq and my nano. Now i am looking to take the macbook pro a 5th gen nano,3rd gen nano, 4th gen shuffle and an iphone 4. I wanted to make sure that they wouldn't take them apart or anything. .

They'll only take them apart if a dog comes up and sits next to you :p

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
I have flown on US domestic and international flights with various pieces of electronic gear with no problems. Of course I didn't carry as much as you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
It's a non-issue. A couple weeks ago I flew from Pennsylvania to Fort Lauderdale and carried on (1) iPhone4 without a box, (3) iPhone4s with boxes, (1) MBP, (1) iPod Shuffle and (1) iPad and TSA didn't even blink.

I thought I might have to explain why I had 4 iPhones, but no one seemed to care.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was searched they didn't know what the mouse and the charger for the mac was so they had to tear my bag apart and they lost my suffle for a while. i don't like it when they mess with your things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
...so they had to tear my bag apart and they lost my suffle for a while.
They lost it for a while? Did they not search the bag right in front of you?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They took it to a table behind the scanner thing i could see them taking it apart, they didnt get it into the bin with my other things. It just fell out of their bin when it was being moved from the bad to the bin.
They lost it for a while? Did they not search the bag right in front of you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
They took it to a table behind the scanner thing i could see them taking it apart, they didnt get it into the bin with my other things. It just fell out of their bin when it was being moved from the bad to the bin.

I've never had an issue although I have had them look in my bag before. You have the right to by present while they search, so in the future if they ever try to take you things off somewhere else, you can tell them you want to be present while they look through your things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.