• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Intel's Thunderbolt Technology In Action

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, that's fast. How would you like to have that setup he demoed it on at your house? :)

OP
Moss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd. Love. It. :) That's probably all I'd do with that 4GB video file, is just transfer it back and forth! Watching those speeds is better than watching the movie itself! Ahaha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Dude... Why'd you have to show that to me? Now I have to go and change my clothes before I go out, since I drooled all over myself !
eek2.gif

Doug

OP
Moss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:D I wonder how much that RAID setup will be beyond my budget! :p

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Stunning. That's really fast. I would love to have a setup like that for sure. Someday...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
:D I wonder how much that RAID setup will be beyond my budget! :p

A good couple thousand dollars. Apparently, the SSD's sampled aren't even on the market yet. You can still do raid with regular drives, and still get faster speeds though. Just think, one day, every average person will be able to buy something like that bay setup.

OP
Moss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A good couple thousand dollars. Apparently, the SSD's sampled aren't even on the market yet. You can still do raid with regular drives, and still get faster speeds though. Just think, one day, every average person will be able to buy something like that bay setup.

I figured as much. So that's a good couple thousand out of my budget! ;D I think this is the Promise Pegasus RAID setup that's supposedly coming out this summer, right?

Answering my own question: It is the Promise Pegasus. There are 4&6 bay options. Supposedly releasing in Q2, but no pricing discussed yet. Ahaha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
so there goes USB 3.0 then it will just be Thunderbolt.. that is nice.. what I am waiting for is a 10Ghz Processors.

OP
Moss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it seems that they've just decided to skip right on past it. Maybe it'll be integrated later on, but if this catches on I don't see what USB3.0 would even be necessary. As far as what I'm waiting for? The computers from James Cameron's Avatar!

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
This TB port just makes lack of space on internal drives a thing of the past. Because you can now via the TB port work in real time on almost anything via an external drive. And even chain it up again from external drive to external monitor if you so wish.

So finally I think this little video is showing the day when external drive space is as good as internal drive space. :).

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'm glad this came around, before USB 3.0 starts to become more propionate on computers. This is so much better in many ways, and I'm bored of USB already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'm bored of USB already.
That's a good thing. As a simple port or connection cord should not be the focus of things. Creating the awesome content we all make should be the focus. USB never interested me. it was just there doing it's job in the background. An unsung hero. But that's how it's supposed to be.

And after the **-ha of Thunderbolt dies down it'll be the same. A silent hero just allowing us to work on external hard drives and chain up external monitors etc etc. Things in a few years we will all take for granted.

To me I hope TB become the best technology we never really talk about anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.