How to set up Macbook to share internet via ethernet to wireless router?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been trying to figure out how to do the following thing.

I am accessing the internet wirelessly using the university accesspoint (username and login)
-Once connected to the internet on my macbook, I would like to share this internet connection to several other devices.

-So I bought a Router, Dlink DIR-300, that I want to link to my macbook with a lan cable, so that the router can share the internet connection of the Macbook.

To sum up, I would like the following.
Wireless Internet on Macbook -> Share to -> Router (with a lan cable)- router then shares wirelessly to ->iTouch/Ps3

I am using a D-link DIR-300 and link the Macbook to a lan port on the router.

I would really appreciate if you could maybe tell whether or not this is possible at all and potentially what I should look at in order to make it work.

Thank you very much.
Louis

edit: I have been trying to make it clearer!

OP
L
Reaction score
Not really,

I would like to use my Macbook as a "modem" and use the router so that I can share the connection.

I basically want to do this so that the macbook shares the internet to the router which then shares the internet to other devices wirelessly.

Thanks for your reply.
Louis

ps: because, my macbook access the internet wirelessly, not via ethernet.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I guess I'm having a hard time deciphering exactly what you're looking for. Hopefully someone else here will have better luck.

OP
L
Reaction score
I have tried to simplify my first post. Hopefully it's a little clearer! Thank you for trying to help anyway!

Lousi

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Ok - I think I may understand a little better. You want to use the Macbook as your internet gateway - but then set up your own little hotspot using the wireless router you purchased.

If I understand correctly - then you're looking to do something along the lines of this Tutorial: Mac Internet Sharing (with Xbox 360) | MacApper which isn't exactly your setup but the principles should hold. I've never done this - so perhaps one of the better informed folks here will be along to clean this up soon - but if you look at the internet sharing instructions in this link - it appears that you may have the options you're looking for - including Airport to Ethernet. I'm just guessing here - but I would surmise that you should be able to set it up that way with your wireless router.

I'm not quite sure if you'll run into issues with IP translation though.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes, this is what I have used to link directly my macbook to my ps3 via ethernet and I made it work indeed.

I guess my question is should I set up the router a specific way? For example, do I set it up as "Access point" ?

If i don't set the routeur as access point, then when my macbook is connected to the internet, and when i plug the router to my macbook, my macbook won't connect to the internet anymore ( I guess my macbook assumes that internet comes from the router, despite the fact that it comes from airport)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes - the router should be set up as an access point.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok thank you.

Should I then apply any particular settings to the ethernet network preferences of my Macbook? static? DHCP, DHCP with a manual address?

I haven't managed to make it work using any of these. I must be doing it wrong!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.