Managing multiple macs? (how-to question)

Reaction score
I *think* this is the right place to post - if not, mods please move it.

My family are new Mac users (MacBook Pro, OS X 10.6.6). We have three Macs in our household - two of which are used for students with the remaining shared by the parents.

We've figured out how to use the "Shared" feature, which allows each mac to view the computer screen of the others one at a time. We have the parental controls activated on one of the student laptops. Additionally, on each of the Macs we've created an administrator account, and have disabled the Guest Account - leaving the student as a managed account.

What I'd like to have the ability to do is to have an Administrator type account on the parent's Macbook which allows us to make changes, check on history, approve of certain websites (one of the Mac only has certain websites allowed, but I'd like to approve of things on a case by case basis), et cetera. I can do some of these things (maybe all, but I'm not sure) when *they* are connected to the internet...but is there a way that I can have access via my own computer to their computer when they are not on? I'd like to do this when it isn't interrupting their work/social computer time. Too, if they are on, their movements of the mouse are overridden if I am trying to do anything.

I hope I'm making sense, and I'm sorry if this is an elementary question, but I'd appreciate any help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.