• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

This is where user generated apps got started...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Umm, the Apple II had been out for three years before the first ZX80 came out, and four years before the ZX81. So no, I don't think that's where anything got started.

The Timex/Sinclair was no thing of beauty. It was shoddily built, with cartridges that fell out and a hard-to-key membrane keyboard. But oh so cheap...a fraction of the cost of the Apple II...and very popular, briefly, for that reason.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok, ok, Mr Pedantic, I meant that was where the culture of wide-spread user app generation started. The culture that gave rise to the community of thousands of developers of Mac OS & iOS apps (and, indeed, Windows apps & Android apps) that we see today.

The Apple II was a fine machine, but it had the same problem as the Lisa; it wasn't particularly affordable when it first appeared on the scene, retailing at US$1298.

The ZX80, on the other hand was - as you yourself said - far cheaper, initially priced at GB£99.95 (approx US$212 at the time).

If the first home microcomputers had remained as expensive as the Apple II or Lisa, personal computing (including "PCs" and Macs) would be a decade behind where it is now.

That is these under-powered, clunky, ugly, semi-reliable jumped-up calculators' legacy to the world.

(Also, it was entirely a Sinclair machine; Timex only made clones under licence.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Perhaps so.

I suppose the Sinclair and the Apple II were really at the opposite ends of the spectrum. There were a lot of other manufacturers that filled the gap (TI and Atari and the like) and those probably felt a lot of pressure from the cheaper Sinclair design. A lot of people cut their teeth on those machines, too.

But saying that the Apple II was too expensive is not realistic. It was a tenth the price of a Lisa...and it outsold and outlasted the Sinclairs and Timexes and dozens of other cheaper machines.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Never even heard of the Sinclair machines myself at that time. Cut my teeth on the TI-99/4 and /4A.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok, ok, Mr Pedantic, I meant that was where the culture of wide-spread user app generation started. The culture that gave rise to the community of thousands of developers of Mac OS & iOS apps (and, indeed, Windows apps & Android apps) that we see today.

If this is what you meant...then it's best to actually include that thought in your original post...since we cannot read minds!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.