• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Adobe Flash Is Doomed, Says Firefox VP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
If thats true, break out the confetti and streamers!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Is it really news though? I have been actually waiting for them to fail. >_<"

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think it's worth taking a moment to pay attention to this quote:
As for Flash, despite its growing presence on mobile devices, the VP believes the buggy, system-hogging, security risk is on the wane.
The pervasiveness of Flash is increasing with support for Android and supposed support coming for BB OS (I believe). Google has started shipping it with Chrome which may not matter to those of us who have Flash but shipping it with Chrome only helps to increase the user base.

I'm all for getting rid of Flash (it's a terrible piece of junk) but I think it's a little early to be out claiming that it's doomed when there are few (if any) signs of the end. That doesn't mean I hope he's wrong though ;).

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
i agree. drinks on me for when Flash hits the dust. who knew watching a video on the internet with flash could take wait for it.... 30 - 50% of my CPU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
i agree. drinks on me for when Flash hits the dust. who knew watching a video on the internet with flash could take wait for it.... 30 - 50% of my CPU.

I dislike when Flash sites or elements of Flash hog my system resources as well, but I really wish you guys would open up your eyes a little bit when it comes to just that aspect of it. While I would love my Mac to be free from any and all plugins, the fact of the matter is that shoddy HTML 5 code will run your system resources into the ground just as fast as shoddily written Flash.

When you compare properly written Flash to HTML 5, it has been known to perform either better or on par with it. Of all the talk that people do about Flash crashing browsers, I've never had it happen to me, ever. I've watched videos in HTML 5 that have made my fans go into overdrive and that have slowed my system down to a crawl.

I've never encountered any security issues related to Flash, either. I don't mind getting rid of Flash, just so long as there's a standard to replace it on every device across the board, and so long as it performs better than it across the board as well. It's all up to the engineer, whether the code will be optimized or not. And we all know how lazy humans can be, independent of what platform they're writing code for.

So please don't be surprised when the day finally comes, when you all get what you've wished for, but that it's not really delivering all of the efficiency you were hoping for with it. I really hope a blind eye won't be turned, just because it's your day of misguided "triumph". Again, I really don't care about Flash as a standard per-say... I just don't like biting off my nose to spite my face, for ANY cause. When the day comes that HTML 5 is fully ready to take over, and can prove its self to be light on resources no matter how sloppily the code was written.. I'll be the one buying the beers.

Doug

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dislike when Flash sites or elements of Flash hog my system resources as well, but I really wish you guys would open up your eyes a little bit when it comes to just that aspect of it. While I would love my Mac to be free from any and all plugins, the fact of the matter is that shoddy HTML 5 code will run your system resources into the ground just as fast as shoddily written Flash.

When you compare properly written Flash to HTML 5, it has been known to perform either better or on par with it. Of all the talk that people do about Flash crashing browsers, I've never had it happen to me, ever. I've watched videos in HTML 5 that have made my fans go into overdrive and that have slowed my system down to a crawl.

I've never encountered any security issues related to Flash, either. I don't mind getting rid of Flash, just so long as there's a standard to replace it on every device across the board, and so long as it performs better than it across the board as well. It's all up to the engineer, whether the code will be optimized or not. And we all know how lazy humans can be, independent of what platform they're writing code for.

So please don't be surprised when the day finally comes, when you all get what you've wished for, but that it's not really delivering all of the efficiency you were hoping for with it. I really hope a blind eye won't be turned, just because it's your day of misguided "triumph". Again, I really don't care about Flash as a standard per-say... I just don't like biting off my nose to spite my face, for ANY cause. When the day comes that HTML 5 is fully ready to take over, and can prove its self to be light on resources no matter how sloppily the code was written.. I'll be the one buying the beers.

Doug

to be honest, ive had it happen quite a few times. i now use clicktoflash to watch anything i can in H.264 HTML5. i have never had it crash. flash in the last month has crashed about 3 or 4 times this month. not absolutely awful, but not good by any means. right now i am watching a video in Flash that is taking between 11 - 30% cpu. i will watch h.264 later and compare. i've never had HTML 5 run my fans into the ground or crash the system. through this experience i have no choice but to prefer HTML 5 to flash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
to be honest, ive had it happen quite a few times. i now use clicktoflash to watch anything i can in H.264 HTML5. i have never had it crash. flash in the last month has crashed about 3 or 4 times this month. not absolutely awful, but not good by any means. right now i am watching a video in Flash that is taking between 11 - 30% cpu. i will watch h.264 later and compare. i've never had HTML 5 run my fans into the ground or crash the system. through this experience i have no choice but to prefer HTML 5 to flash.

Are you able to reproduce those crashes by visiting the same sites or by watching the same videos etc ? I'd like to try crashing FireFox just once. Seriously.. if you have a link, feel free to share it with me in a PM. No sarcasm intended.

Doug

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you able to reproduce those crashes by visiting the same sites or by watching the same videos etc ? I'd like to try crashing FireFox just once. Seriously.. if you have a link, feel free to share it with me in a PM. No sarcasm intended.

Doug

no worries. its the ITV/STV player, are you in the UK? its only available here. to be fair STV is in beta, and to be fair to Flash, it usually works. just occasionally it crashes. but it still does, and its always the "flash player plugin" that goes. its working right now.

pausing the video seems to make the fans go.. very strange.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No technology is perfect and as much as I'd love to see Flash become obsolete, I'm also not ignorant of the fact that it is worse than HTML5 in all cases. That said, it does have its problems. This page for example demonstrated a Flash exploit that was unpatched for nearly two years.

The benefit of using HTML5 technologies is that the browser makers are responsible for fixing bugs. If it's not fixed in one, switch browsers. If the problem is with Flash, it doesn't matter what browser you use. That is one important distinction, one independent of the common argument regarding system resources.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wahey, it happened today.

attachment.php

Screen shot 2011-03-13 at 10.07.15.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Im just going to go on the record and say that since Flash 10.2 (and now I'm using the 10.3 beta) that I really think Adobe has made some major improvements in Mac performance. It's been faster, less buggy, and uses far less CPU than it did previously.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you get the hardware acceleration benefits that came with 10.1 (machine list here)? That may be a reason for the improved performance.

I'd love to know how much of a difference there is between HA Flash and non-HA Flash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.