• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Toast Titanium 11 Pro

Reaction score
Greetings all! New to this game and appreciate any help.

I'm creating a high school football highlight DVD. Footage is coming from several sources including homemade DVDs and my hard drive. Naturally, I want to import all footage into IMovie - of which I'm comfortable working with - and then burn the disc with the use of Toast Titanium 11, which I just purchased.

I was under the impression I could rip the footage from the homemade DVDs and convert it into an IMovie-friendly format with Toast, but am not having much luck thus far.

Anybody got solutions or steps I'm missing?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
use Handbrake to rip the footage.

OP
S
Reaction score
OK, Handbrake seems to be the consensus here and from others at the Apple help line. But how to use it? There's not exactly a whole lot to go on on their website.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OK, Handbrake seems to be the consensus here and from others at the Apple help line. But how to use it? There's not exactly a whole lot to go on on their website.

Pretty simple. When the program first opens, a file requester dialog should be the first thing you're presented with. Click on the disc in the left pane under 'Devices' and it should start scanning the disc. Once it does, click "Toggle Presets" on the right and choose "Normal" (I actually like to use AppleTV, since that's optimized for a typical 720P display). Then set your output path/filename and click "Go". It's that easy.

OP
S
Reaction score
It really was that easy! Much obliged on the handbrake info.

Now what. It's a .m4v file on my desktop. I want to work with it in Imovie. I imagine I need to convert it. Will Toast make it usable so that I can play with the footage in Imovie?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It really was that easy! Much obliged on the handbrake info.

Now what. It's a .m4v file on my desktop. I want to work with it in Imovie. I imagine I need to convert it. Will Toast make it usable so that I can play with the footage in Imovie?

Have you actually tried to import it into iMovie? I haven't done it myself, but I thought the output would be compatible directly.

OP
S
Reaction score
The file is still "grayed out", so no-go on importing into Imovie just yet. It's showing as an m4v file and did manage to get itself into Itunes. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
quick question

hey guys, i am in a similar situation, and didn't think it was necessary to start a new thread. i have created a video with premiere pro cs5 and am burning the final with toast. my question is, after toast converts it to dvd, and burns it once, can i save the toast file and then burn more copies later without having to do the whole trans-coding (i believe that's what it's called), and just burn more. I need to make about 30 copies so I was looking for the easiest/quickest way.

the original disc took about 3 hours to convert and burn, and the second disc took about 10 minutes to burn. I want to be able to burn more over the next few days in the 10 minute style, say after a restart of the computer or something.

OP
S
Reaction score
The file actually shows as a MPEG-4 file. The Apple Tech Support rep said if it was a MPEG-4 Simple Profile, it would work. Getting there, according to her, requires going through Handbrake again. No problem there, just need some guidance in achieving it.

She also forwarded a list of additional compatible formats: DV, DV Widescreen, HDV 1080i (25 and 30 fps), 720p (25 and 30 fps) and iSight.

Question is, how do I customize the Handbrake process to achieve one of the above formats?

OP
S
Reaction score
QUICKTIME MPEG-2 PLAYBACK-MAC OS X-INT purchased thru Apple enables MPEG Streamclip (suggested by Handbrake FAQ) to convert to DV pretty easily, supposedly a better way to work in IMovie. Thanks to everyone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.