Cant find drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD
Hi

I have an airport extreme base station. I have a powered usb hub connecting my printer and 1tb wd backup drive to the base station. I can use the printing no problem, but I can't use the drive at all I can't find it anywhere. Ive watched some tutorials on youtube who are showing how to set up the drive, and it says the airport extreme has to be found in the "shared" portion of the finder window. But mine isn't there.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi

I have an airport extreme base station. I have a powered usb hub connecting my printer and 1tb wd backup drive to the base station. I can use the printing no problem, but I can't use the drive at all I can't find it anywhere. Ive watched some tutorials on youtube who are showing how to set up the drive, and it says the airport extreme has to be found in the "shared" portion of the finder window. But mine isn't there.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks
Do a search and you'll probably pull several threads on this topic, but I doubt many recent ones.
This is going from memory, but I don't think you can use the powered hub connection with the drive. To use the drive I believe it has to be the only device on the USB port.
Again, I could be wrong, but I think this was the major selling point for the TimeCapsule.

OP
crazypotatos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I might just call apple if I dont get any feedback by tonight. I did that last time and it was extremely helpful since I really don't know exactly what I am supposed to do

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You might try plugging the drive directly into the USB port w/o the powered hub to see if your Mac can see it.

OP
crazypotatos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found the problem. The hub works fine, the only problem solver I found was unplugging and plugging back in the drive. It seemed to work then. But not i have to wait for 120gb to back up wirelessly! :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.