Newbie needs some suggestions plz!

M

mugsy

My sister gave me her old PowerPC G5 (10.2.7 1.8GHz) . I am trying to get it a bit more up-to-date. So, tried to install 10.2.8 and eventually make upgrade it all the way to 10.4.2 .

Now here is the problem. Installer requires a password and sister forgot her's. She also does not have the OS X install disc, so I could change the PW manually. Is there anyway around this? I would hate to only use this comp to surf the net.... Could I purchase a new OS X disc and try to use that to change PW? With 10.2.7 I cant even install Office, which I need considering I just made the switch from PC!!!

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Since you are planning to upgrade to OS X 10.4.2. Just go out and get OS X 10.4. Since you will need the install media to change the pass word.

OP
M

mugsy

thanks for the reply....

Once I get the OS X 10.4.2 disc.. To change the PW, do i just the follow the same steps that are posted on the web for lost admin PW... Such as manual load from disc, erase PW etc... ? Appreciate it

Reaction score
I would just do a complete fresh install of the OS so it is like you have a new computer. Do that by putting in the 10.4 disc then start up the computers while holding down C, erase what is on the HD then install the OS. The password will be gone.

Thats a pretty awesome machine to just get handed to you.

OP
M

mugsy

Thanks for the all help peeps... Question... When i get the upgrade 10.4 disc, can I uprgade straight from 10.2.7? Meaning when I tried to install it (10.4)via the apple site, it said I needed the one right below 10.4 , which I think was 10.3.8, to make the upgrade....

basically, can I skip all the things between 10.2.7 and 10.4 and make the jump directly to 10.4?

Reaction score
You need to go to an Apple retailer and buy a copy of OS X Tiger 10.4, from the disc you get in that box you will be able to install direct to 10.4 then you will have to do the updates to get it to 10.4.2 or whatever the current one is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
mugsy said:
basically, can I skip all the things between 10.2.7 and 10.4 and make the jump directly to 10.4?
Sure can. Just do a fresh install and you're good to go. You'll be able to set up your own PW and have a fresh OSX on the system. Good luck, have fun and enjoy OSX Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
remember not to buy the upgrade version of tiger and buy the retail like mynameis said.. the upgrade will not help you in this situatoin and if you ever want to do a clean install you will not be able to since you sister does not have the origional osx discs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.