Multi-button (more than 2) Mouse Help

Z

zachol

Righty. I've been using my nice little iBook G4 for nearly a year now. However, I hate the little trackpad setup.

From my windows box, I kept a little trackball thingy.

I don't have the driver disk that came with it, nor the box (not sure... would take some looking). However, from the bottom of the thing, I can see it is called a "Trackball Explorer 1.0 PS2/USB Compatible."

Funny, it's Microsoft.

That works fine. It plugs in the USB port, right clicks, scrolls, etc. Fine.

However, there are 2 other buttons, and the scroll wheel clicks as well.

My question is: How does one get the buttons to do something, along with the scroll wheel ("middle-click")?

Should it matter, I'm running OS 10.3.9 (as in, not Tiger). I intend to update sometime in the future.

I stopped by the nice little Mac store, and a helpful clerk said that the setup for the new mouse could help, but it would be a good idea to search for some sort of freeware thing.

However, any searches that could turn up anything now only show stuff about the new mouse that apple just released, so that's been a bomb.

Does anyone know of a way to get the spare buttons to work?

Link to some Microsoft page about the trackball I use.

There is a way to download software from the page, and I suppose that would be the best idea.

However, I am wondering if there is a more generic, preferably free, software thing that supports mice with odd buttons.

Thank you.

Reaction score
I would just get the software from M$. Their Intellipoint software for OS X doesn't suck.

OP
U

UncSki1218

Yeah the ms software works great...it may not give you as many options as the mighty mouse freeware thats out there but it should do

OP
Z

zachol

Thanks. The Microsoft software seems to work fine.

Should keep CDs more.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.