Is this HD a good choice for Time Machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
I have been looking for a backup hard drive to use with Time Machine. The apple product looks good, but there are reports of failure at 12-18 months old.
A backup hard drive that fails and looses all data is NOT a backup. I found this RAID1 drive that has 2 HDs and mirrors data on both.
1.0TB (500GB + 500GB) OWC Mercury Elite-A... (MEQMHM7S10TB) at OWC
It is an OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Dual mini 500GB + 500GB.

Would this HD be a good choice, and does the RAID1 system provide reliable long term backup? 500GB is enough for my use.

Thanks for any help,
Larry H

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Excellent choice - potentially overkill (which is not necessarily a bad thing for a backup device), but a stellar choice if it's affordable for you.

RAID1 is mirroring - so basically anything written to the volume will be mirrored between the two drives. So, you get the added benefit of having redundant backups.

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cwa,

Thanks for your help. I plan on placing an order.

Larry H

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ordered and received this backup HD: OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Dual mini 500GB + 500GB. It is a well made unit with a heavy aluminium case. I hooked up the firewire cable, turned on the power switch, told Time Machine to use that drive and TM is now backing up 50GB of data.

It's so simple it's almost magic! Thanks to Apple and OWC.

Larry H

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.