• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Someone in ipad 2 line outside Apple store now - 4 days early

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Someone in ipad 2 line outside Apple store now - 4 days early
The MacCast » Blog Archive » Line already forming for iPad 2?

iPad2Camping.jpg

131951-justin_ipad_2_tent.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
now there's a great way to get mugged lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Have you not considered its all part of the marketing campaign.

I think Apple is a great company but something like this is standard marketing practice.

Clubs in London make people queue outside when its half empty to give the illusion its busy inside.

Making items deliberately limited is another great way to ensure people want them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Insanity. Order it and wait, don't freeze your butt off waiting like that.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That's just crazy..nothing is worth camping out for NOTHING..and I'm a fan of Apple's products and will buy what makes sense to me..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

I think Apple is a great company but something like this is standard marketing practice.

Clubs in London make people queue outside when its half empty to give the illusion its busy inside.

Making items deliberately limited is another great way to ensure people want them.

Riiiight... cause Apple needs stunts like that to help sell products and generate publicity. haha

It would be funny if a bunch of people showed up Friday morning at that Apple store and formed the line to the other side of where that guy is camped.

"First come, first served" VS. "Strength in numbers"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
He's got a lawn AND a rockery outside? I only have a lawn ;)

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Riiiight... cause Apple needs stunts like that to help sell products and generate publicity. haha

It would be funny if a bunch of people showed up Friday morning at that Apple store and formed the line to the other side of where that guy is camped.

"First come, first served" VS. "Strength in numbers"

Why do they advertise at all then?

All brands no matter how successful need to generate publicity and market themselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

All brands no matter how successful need to generate publicity and market themselves.

Yeah, they're called "keynote addresses" and "commercials".

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I read an article at one point that said. "Only bad products need marketing."

Apple really doesn't need that much advertising or marketing, seems like the built advertising into their distribution plan. No pre-orders, more lines, more news venues have access to the lines for their daily news. Profit!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
He's got a lawn AND a rockery outside? I only have a lawn ;)

- Simon

I know! That guys totally set! It's as if he (she?) were actually camping. The only difference is instead of camping in the woods, there's a few buildings for trees. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read an article at one point that said. "Only bad products need marketing."

Apple really doesn't need that much advertising or marketing, seems like the built advertising into their distribution plan. No pre-orders, more lines, more news venues have access to the lines for their daily news. Profit!

You should tell Steve as I am sure he would be happy to save half a billion on Advertising.

Apple's 2009 ad budget: Half a billion - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

All companies and products need advertising regardless of how well they sell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I hope someone pees on that guy.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I don't disagree that these sort of advertising "stunts" have & do occur...but I would say that it's far from "standard marketing practice" to "pitch a tent" outside a store.

Small startup companies trying to draw attention to themselves in a spectacular way might do this...but Apple being a respected & well established company I don't think would stoop to such low levels. Why?...because once the public finds out about such a "juvenile stunt"...the negative backlash would be tremendous.

Basically...it's just not worth the risk to the companies reputation & financial standing (stock price)...for the launch of a single new product. The iPad 2 will be a tremendous success all on it's own...without any "stunts".:)

- Nick

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMHO, the Apple Store was the best thing Apple ever could have done and is better than any advertising alone could have been.

It demystified the Mac experience and gave a place where people could go in and actually play with these toys and gadgets staffed with people that could actually answer their questions instead of giving misinformation like you'd get at Best Buy.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's just crazy..nothing is worth camping out for NOTHING..and I'm a fan of Apple's products and will buy what makes sense to me..

Regards
Couldn't agree more. It's a shame that people have become so consumed by a desire for a product that they need to camp outside a store. Do people really have so little in life to keep them preoccupied? Is it really necessary to privilege a product over everything else you could accomplish in a four day period?

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Couldn't agree more. It's a shame that people have become so consumed by a desire for a product that they need to camp outside a store. Do people really have so little in life to keep them preoccupied? Is it really necessary to privilege a product over everything else you could accomplish in a four day period?
It's no different to people camping out for concert tickets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's no different to people camping out for concert tickets.

Oh I think it's totally different, not that I would even camp out for tickets.

But a concert is a one-time event. You either get in or you don't. But an iPad (or any other Apple product for that matter) is not unique, nor time limited. So worst case you didn't get it on launch day, boo hoo, go home and order it and get it shortly after.

Camping at an Apple Store for a product doesn't make you cool, to me, it makes you look like an idiot who has major priority problems with your life.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
IMHO, the Apple Store was the best thing Apple ever could have done and is better than any advertising alone could have been.

It demystified the Mac experience and gave a place where people could go in and actually play with these toys and gadgets staffed with people that could actually answer their questions instead of giving misinformation like you'd get at Best Buy.

I have to admit (as a long time Macintosh user) when the Apple Stores first appeared...I was a little unsure how long they would last.

It was sort of the feeling like walking into the familiar 24 hr. convenience store we know today...but instead of the many items they currently sell...they were only selling one thing...a loaf of bread!;) Not the "normal" mix of electronic items (brands & types) like you would see at a "traditional" electronics & computer store. Which of course Apple couldn't or wouldn't do...since they just produce computers, used to sell Apple branded peripherals like printers, and some software (iWork, iLife, OS, Final Cut, etc.).

But they've been around for something like 10 years (10 years since the first Apple retail store opened in May, 2001)...so Apple has certainly figured out a way for it to work!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.