• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple no longer shipping TechTool Deluxe with AppleCare

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yet another reason not to bother with AppleCare. I'm starting to think that Squaretrade is a better solution altogether. Glad I got turned onto it with my new iPhone.

Reaction score
I would always but AppleCare as I use my machine for my freelance work and a 3-year warranty is added peace of mind. However, TechTool Deluxe has been pretty much useless for years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Not sure it will be missed now, that's for sure. Had it uses back in the Jaguar days I think, but not now.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If I'd bought AppleCare on the Apple stuff I've bought in the last 4 years, I'd be out over $1,000 for zero return.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Fun reading for a guy who just bought his AppleCare :Confused: Oh well - live and learn.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure it will be missed now, that's for sure. Had it uses back in the Jaguar days I think, but not now.

I don't think you've used it recently. Not only does it have some very nice diagnostics, but it also has maintenance and optimization tools that you would otherwise have to pay big bucks for. Just the undelete files and defrag utilities are well worth it.

As far as the value of AppleCare - I think it's pretty dubious if you're savvy with computers. So, it buys you an extra 33 months of tech support (I won't use it) and 24 months of warranty against manufacturers defects. Assuming that you start out with a good quality machine, it's unlikely that any of the solid state components are going to fail. So what does that leave? The hard drive ($60), fans ($40) and the SuperDrive ($150). The cost of the warranty for a MacBook Pro is $350 (a little less depending on where you look). Even if I had to replace all three components, I would still be ahead without AC.

I took some solace in the fact that Apple replaced my battery in my old MBP on two occasions, at a value of $240. And with the inclusion of TTP (worth $99), it didn't seem too awful. But now that the latter is gone and knowing that Squaretrade offers a full 3 year warranty with accidental damage protection for $300, I'm definitely leaning in that direction.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Accidental damage, now that I could have used to replace my bottom case.

And I'm still waiting for the day when I knock over my coffee cup onto it. It's bound to happen some day. :p I've killed at least a couple of keyboards that way over the last 30 years.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

And I'm still waiting for the day when I knock over my coffee cup onto it. It's bound to happen some day. :p I've killed at least a couple of keyboards that way over the last 30 years.

Please don't say that!

I've gotten very paranoid recently after reading all the "Help! I spilled XYZ on my Mac" threads. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If I'd bought AppleCare on the Apple stuff I've bought in the last 4 years, I'd be out over $1,000 for zero return.

And as an opposite, I've had logic boards replaced on a few machines over the years, and my latest MBP was completely swapped out for a brand new model.

For me, AppleCare is worth it, but to each their own. It all is dependent on how much risk you want to assume and how likely you feel it is that something would go wrong.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I've gotten very paranoid recently after reading all the "Help! I spilled XYZ on my Mac" threads. :)

Me too!! And having a rambunctious 2.5 yr old and a black lab doesn't help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You should check your credit card company also. For example Amex covers accidental loss or damage as well as some other really interesting stuff that I doubt most people realize. I had an LCD TV replaced when there was a Wii accident and candle wax went all over the screen :)

Other card companies may offer something similar.

Also, most credit cards will automatically double the manufacturer's warranty for up to an additional year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I don't think you've used it recently. Not only does it have some very nice diagnostics, but it also has maintenance and optimization tools that you would otherwise have to pay big bucks for. Just the undelete files and defrag utilities are well worth it.

True I haven't, but then I haven't had the need to either.
I see your point of course, just not so sure personally.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Me too!! And having a rambunctious 2.5 yr old and a black lab doesn't help!

Well, if it's any comfort, my nearly 3 year old and my 6 year old, who are incidentally systematically destroying the interior of my home, have yet to inflict damage on any of my Apple products (knock on wood). Of course a fair amount of threatening words and glances when they approach might have something to do with that...

Both of them know not to touch Daddy's toys otherwise they may need to look for a new place to live :D

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both of them know not to touch Daddy's toys otherwise they may need to look for a new place to live :D

You mean they actually acknowledge that it's your house? You'll have to share your parenting secrets! :D Ever since she was about 2 I've been convinced that she knows she owns the house and we're just living here thanks to her generosity! :)

Reaction score
I've never heard of Tech Tool being bundled with AC for the Mac.

My Mac mini has an AC plan (the MacBook doesn't).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You should check your credit card company also. For example Amex covers accidental loss or damage as well as some other really interesting stuff that I doubt most people realize. I had an LCD TV replaced when there was a Wii accident and candle wax went all over the screen :)

Other card companies may offer something similar.

Also, most credit cards will automatically double the manufacturer's warranty for up to an additional year.

Completely agree. If I'd bought Apple Care for my wife's iMac I would have saved the roughly $1700 I've spent to have 2 logic boards and 1 HDD replaced in the last 3 years. If I'd bought it for my Quad G5 I could have had the cooling issues repaired under warranty when they first started. I bought neither and paid the price.

Needless to say I have purchased Apple Care for my iPhone, my MacBook and my iMac. I may never need them, but I've learned my lesson.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Baggs. I'll purchase it again for my next Mac even though I may never use it.

A little unrelated story: When I purchased a new Honda for my daughter, I was reluctant to buy an extended factory warranty for an additional $800. For some reason I let the salesman talk me into it. Guess what? Three years later the transmission went out. Honda replaced the $3000 transmission for free. My savings: $2200 and lots of aggravation. ;D

Reaction score
I didn't have a plan for my iBook G4. After dealing with a dead hard drive two years after I bought the machine and a dead optical drive two days after the death of the hard drive, I vowed to never go without AppleCare again. (I had never had a problem with any Mac I had purchased new prior to this iBook, dating back to my LC in 1992).

My next laptop was a black MacBook, which replaced my ill-fated iBook G4 (which I later fixed on my own and gave to a family member). Everything was going fine until the case chipped to the right of the trackpad two years into ownership (apparently a very common problem on the 2006-2008 MacBooks; many I've seen have a piece of tape there). AppleCare covered the problem, and while I don't remember the numbers offhand, I believe it paid for itself with this lone repair. Had I purchased the part I would have done it myself, but having everything taken care of under (extended) warranty was a better deal in the end and often is depending on the part.

I have it on my MacBook Air and will probably continue to buy it for my future Macs. TechTool wasn't a bad throw-in and gets used on my machines to optimize disks, but I get the feeling many weren't using it. Interestingly, the MicroMat site still says TechTool Deluxe is included with AppleCare. My guess is this is either a license with MicroMat expired or Apple simply wants to get rid of another optical disc (as the original website suggests). Of course, having customers take their machines to the Genius Bar is also a way to attract customers and coerce them into buying more products while in the store.

I've never heard about the credit card warranty deal. Just make sure to read all the fine print on a credit card agreement for anything--warranty or otherwise.

Some of us, myself included, are DIYers when it comes to our Macs. However, getting both the parts and service on some of these parts is worth it, even for savvy repairmen who have worked on hundreds of computers before, mostly because of the low cost relative to how much some of these parts go for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Also agree with Applecare being essential and Tech Tool Deluxe came with my Re-manufactured Mac Pro. Run it on na monthly basis.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.