newbie with airport extreme problems.

Reaction score
hi, new to the forum so first things first, how y'all doing?

so i stood on my old modem/router and it didn't work any more so i bobbed down to pcworld and bought myself a D-Link ADSL2+ modem and airport extreme.

I set the modem up directly to my laptop and bosh it worked perfectly. then i set up the airport extreme and got the green light to come on on the front. The wireless works beautifully but i just cant get the internet sharing to work.

am i missing something?

i have borrowed a modem/router from a friend, set it up to my isp, wireless off and plugged it into the AE and this works exactly as it should.

any pointers? im pulling my hair out here.

thanks guys n gals

Reaction score
Being less elliptical, both the D-Link and the airport are routers. This means that they act as gateways, not just switches or bridges. I suspect that both boxes are distributing IP addresses and that there is a conflict. You have to switch of the IP allocation in one or other of the two — for the D-Link through it's advanced config web page, for the extreme through the airport setup utility. Switching off the D-link IP allocation is probably simpler.
Regards
Paul

OP
S
Reaction score
Do you mean turn the dhcp off on the modem? I tried that but then I couldn't do anything. I couldn't even access the configuration web page with my laptop plugged directly into the modem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.