My macbook pro doesn't print in colour!

Reaction score
I got a printer a few months ago, its an HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus I downloaded the driver and it prints out things using wi-fi. The problem is that it won't print in colour. I've looked at many forums where people have had similar problems but none of the solutions work for me. I know the problem is from my mac because my home (Dell) computer can print out things in colour (when connected by a USB cable) and other laptops in the house (Dell again) prints out things in colour even when the driver hasn't been downloaded.

I need some help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Maybe try connecting the printer directly to the Macbook. Some printer/computer combinations don't allow some features over wifi. I don't see how that would prevent color printing but not grayscale, but it's worth a try just to eliminate that problem as a possibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
First you should have been able to plug the usb in for initial setup and the driver should
be there also make sure you have the right driver the easiest way would have been the USB connection Mac's are good about plug and play then setup your wireless. Also on some make sure draft setting was not chosen as default this will be black and white only
and some will even have check boxes for no background or pictures.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry I got it wrong. My home computer isn't connected by USB. It's wireless as well. Plus, I can't figure out how to plug my laptop into my printer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
When your print dialogue box is open, click:
20110307-pn1nsufb414s457dkatynhmcpt.jpg

to see this:
20110307-g53b8mt55uc5aua5xchbdsyat6.jpg

to see if there is a setting that's set to Black and White.

OP
M
Reaction score
There is no setting for black & white on it. There is one which says colour matching and I've tried printing it on that setting but it still prints out in black & white. I think I'll just have to connect it with a cable. Thanks though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried deleting the printer from your Mac then plug the printer in with a USB cable let it detect and select it as default printer then go through your setup and try wireless again. The instructions for my HP C6380 said setup using USB then disconnect
and try wireless and the drivers were already there no need to use the disc. Of course it
would help if you stated the model and what OS you had and is it up to date I have gotten
3 updates for my printer this year alone which comes in software update for the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
There is no setting for black & white on it. There is one which says colour matching and I've tried printing it on that setting but it still prints out in black & white. I think I'll just have to connect it with a cable. Thanks though :)
FWIW with my printer it's under "Printer features > Color Mode: color" in that drop-down list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.