• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Music Suggestions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Under the circumstances.....

OP
Buzzard2010
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
HAHAHA Cheers 6string ;)

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
On a real note, check out Geoff Achison, a muso that I used to play with :)

OP
Buzzard2010
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers for the suggestion i'll have a look at both now :D

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Go to my Last FM page and have a whizz through what's there. You can listen to the tracks with a play arrow.
I somehow doubt you'll like much, but you never know!

Kevriano

OP
Buzzard2010
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers Kev i'll have a look :D

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
OP
Buzzard2010
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cat Empire is actually pretty good. I heard them on a mountain biking video - this scene.
YouTube - The Cat Empire - Two Shoes / The Collective - Seasons
Here is a link to the videos page
The Collective
Pretty much every song from all 3 movies is awesome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Collective_(film)

I also like Pandora for finding new music - type in a song and it will play similar songs.
Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music

I do like the music yeah... that video is awesome too!

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Ok you want some new music. Here is a few suggestions I really like you can look up on itunes. And they are albums as you wanted.

Yes (Album 2009) by Pet Shop Boys - I'd say it's electro/pop with a little dane thrown in.
Apart from the last track 'Legacy" I really think this is their beast album.
Yes etc - the 2 disc version (might be on itunes) has a really good track on it "It Used To be The Future"
And I know you didn't want singles but the single "Did You See Me Coming" has the b-side "After The Event".

YouTube - Pet Shop Boys- After The Event
That link is a link to listen to "After The Event"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hy4bT0ESfc
Link to "Did You See me Coming" from the album Yes

Another album also by the Pet Shop Boys is "Pop Art". It's like a Greatest Hits of their careers to just before yes. To me it's their best GH compilation.

A more acoustic sound - Good In The Face Of A Stranger by Alex Lloyd (Album)
YouTube - Alex Lloyd Slow Train
Link to Slow Train from the album Good In The Face Of A Stranger

And also from Alex Lloyd is his Greatest Hits called Amazing.
And here is the song Amazing from it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJPDJRLxHek

For a band that's based on acoustic guitar and the cello - The Other Side Of the World by August Way. A little indie but I thunk their fab.
YouTube - Here Where You Are Video Clip - August Way
Here Where You Are from the album The Other Side Of the World

Viva La Vida by Coldplay - Pop/slow rock
We all know it. And I like it.
YouTube - Coldplay - Viva La Vida [Anton Corbijn Official Video]
Viva La Vida the song from the album from the same name.
But this video is to an alternate very different version of the video. Must better then the one seen on TV.

Curiouser - Kate Miller-Heidke - Pop
Quirky but I like it too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lOvuGNtdZ8
Can't Shake it from the album Curiouser

Lighthouse Family Greatest Hits. The blue covered version.
Modern day easy listening. Yep I like a little bit of all kinds of music.
YouTube - Free *** Lighthouse Family
Free from the album Greatest Hits

State Of Emergency/White Noise - the 2 latest albums by The Living End
They're an Australian rock band if you don't know. And two very good albums.

YouTube - The Living End - What's On Your Radio?
YouTube - wake up-living end Adeline records with lyrics
Both from the album State Of Emergency

YouTube - The Living End - White Noise
White Noise song from the album of the same title

YouTube - The Living End - Prisoner Of Society
Prisoners Of Society - old song but probably the most well known Living End song.

If you want some old classics try:
It's Time/Call Me Irresponsible - both By Michael Buble

3000 Feet High/Panic Room - both By Paul Mac
Some nice electronic pop.
YouTube - Paul Mac feat. Peta Morris - Sunshine Eyes
Sunshine Eyes from the Album Panic Room

Save Me San Francisco by Train
I can't say I like the album. But a lot of my friends do. So I'll recommend it to you based on that.

That's just a small selection of music for you to try. You might like some of it or hate some of it. Either way it's ok. The more choices the better right? :)

And for the Cat Empire. I really like the song and video for "The Car Song".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aiPuDjkyxk

OP
Buzzard2010
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW!! Cheers 8thark. Certainly keep me entertained for a while whilst I look through them all!

Cheers again

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro [2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD]
Not sure if you're into rap, but you should definitely check out Wu-Tang [Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)] and the artists' solo albums. GZA's Liquid Swords, Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx..., and ODB's Return to the 36 Chambers are good places to start. I personally can't relate to their music, but I like to sit and admire their lyricism and the structure of their verses. It truly awes me. :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Any specific music genres you prefer?

Some of my faves, David Bowie, The Weakerthans, Tori Amos, Prince (older stuff), Alkaline Trio, The Lawrence Arms, They Might Be Giants, Cursive, Bright Eyes, Neil Young, Lynrd Skynrd, Jets to Brazil, Hot Rod Circuit, Conor Oberst, Dropkick Murphys, Mike Park, Nerf Herder, Pink Floyd, Rilo Kiley, Ultimate Fakebook.

Ok I'm tired of typing. I doubt all of those are in iTunes, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The postal Service

Arcade Fire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Go to my Last FM page and have a whizz through what's there. You can listen to the tracks with a play arrow.
I somehow doubt you'll like much, but you never know!

Kevriano

I love Last.FM.. A lot of the new (new-to-me) music I currently listen to, was found from this source.

If you scrobble what you listen to, it actually suggests artists similar to what you're listening to, and from there, you can find some fantastic artists/music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
I love Last.FM.. A lot of the new (new-to-me) music I currently listen to, was found from this source.

I have been a subscriber of Last.FM for some time. I received an email from them on 2/15 stating --

From February 15 you will need to be a subscriber to listen to Last.fm Radio stations on devices, including your Last.fm iPhone / iPod Touch app.

A free 3 month subscription to Last.fm

This will start automatically on February 15th 2011. As a result you will continue to be able to use Last.fm as you do today until the end of your subscription.

So as of May 15, Last.FM will no longer be free, but will cost $3/month. Right now, Pandora gives you the option of subscribing for $36/year, but I wonder how long it will be before they also take away the optional part.

C

chas_m

My tastes run mainly in three directions:

1. New Wave (80s) -- not so much the really popular stuff, more the somewhat obscure things.

2. Ska and reggae, particularly the revival 2-Tone Ska of the 80s

3. What I'll call for lack of a better term "college indie pop."

(warning: iTunes links ahoy!)

Lately I have been listening to the Decemberists' new album, a Canadian artist called Gregory Pepper and His Problems, the new Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark album, another Canadian band called The Hidden Cameras, and the fantastic bluesy retro-soul of Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I have been a subscriber of Last.FM for some time. I received an email from them on 2/15 stating --

So as of May 15, Last.FM will no longer be free, but will cost $3/month. Right now, Pandora gives you the option of subscribing for $36/year, but I wonder how long it will be before they also take away the optional part.

That's interesting. I haven't had anything like that at all, and I log on daily too.
I will keep an eye on that and report back. I wonder if it's a US only thing, but I'd be surprised.

BTW, anyone is free to add me as a friend if they so wish.

Edit: Found this article when researching>

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=13804

Tried the app and now can n o longer play stuff in my library without subscribing. As I rarely used it, it can now go. What a shame this is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

I got one of those too. I don't use it anymore.

As for music suggestions, I usually just listen to what ever is on the top 30 on itunes, along with some 90's...proven to be good music, especially Bon Jovi!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.