Bought a used mini, but their password/login is still there...erase?

J

JSchultz

How can I get a clean install and make my own password/username? Kiind of frustrating.

Thanks!

Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Pop in the os x install disks and during the installation screen, select erase and install.
It should wipe the old system and put a fresh one on and then you can pick a new password and user name.

OP
J

JSchultz

Which one, panther or Tiger? I tried both discs, but the last guy had all his stuff password protected, so I can't even do that.

Any way to get around that completely?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You will need to boot from the installation media. Install the CD, reboot the system. Press and hold the C key while the system boots.

OP
J

JSchultz

Whew, Glad it's that simple! Let me try that!

So just pop in the Tiger Disc, and hold C?

OP
T

TonyJ

Put the CD in.
Reboot the Mini
When you hear the Ding, hold down C.

Should then boot off the CD instead of the Hard Disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sorry I forgot to say 'boot off the disks'...

Yeah make sure you hold down a while and it should start the setup process.

OP
J

JSchultz

Grr..Still nothing. Did as said. It goes straight into the login screen still!

I verified my keyboard is working, because when i click on the username, and press the C key, it works...

Is it possible that even booting from CD is protected? Is there anything else I can try?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Make sure you are not just tapping the C key real fast. Right after the post chime HOLD C DOWN and keep it down till it starts to boot off the CD. If it does not boot still, is the Tiger disc a Copy or a real Tiger disc? Tiger comes on a DVD. If it's some copy it might not boot. The Panther disc if it's the one that came with the MINI is a DVD also.

OP
J

JSchultz

Both the Tiger disc, and the Mini disc are DVD's. I keep on holding C, but it goes straight to logon screen...why is it ignoring me holding down the key?

OP
J

JSchultz

Well, I was luckily able to get a hold of the previous owner who gave me the password.

He says he bets that the reason holding C won't work, is because the BT keyboard/mouse don't work or get initialized until the OS loads, which by then is too late.

Anywho, off I go to put a fresh copy of Tiger on!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Oh, it's a BT keyboard. That it I bet. At a friends once when we ran into that problem his BT keyboard would not work. Had to plug in a usb one. Glad you got the password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
yeah you can not send start up keys like that with a bluetooth keyboard because it does not load... It will be a good idea to keep a usb keyboard in your closet or where ever to that incase you need to erase pram start up from a disc or start up into target disk mode with out restarting... not to mention if your batteries die in the keyboard.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

Glad you got things working

- But - a valuable lesson

Computer debugging 101 ..... ALWAYS use the most basic setup when trying to boot a problematic PC ...... wired mouse / keybd ... standard monitor rather than a LCD - etc - etc

Why - these standard type devices are ALWAYS supported by the basic BIOS code during early boot sequences :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.