What do you think about .Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
I've done my fair amount of research about .Mac, like all of it's pluses like iDisk and the homepage and stuff. I was just wondering how many of you actually pay that $99 a year for it, whether it is worth it or not, and what is your favorite part about it? It looks pretty good but I was just wondering. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
WasabiTaylor said:
I've done my fair amount of research about .Mac, like all of it's pluses like iDisk and the homepage and stuff. I was just wondering how many of you actually pay that $99 a year for it, whether it is worth it or not, and what is your favorite part about it? It looks pretty good but I was just wondering. Thanks.

Well I did a lot of research too and I finally went and bought it. I really like how easy it is to use and how it just syncs with all your mac programs. For my homepage I thought the templates they gave were a little too simple and not customizable enough so I looked around and tried the contribute 30 day trial which I though was great because it also synced with .mac and let you do a lot more customizing

The only thing that I don't really like is that they only give you 250mb which I though might not be enough to be able to put movies on my website but its fine if you compress it enough
:black:

:black: :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I think it's a unique and easy-to-use service, which is beautifully integrated into OS X. I also think it's a little expensive for what you get.

Note that Amazon is charging $78 for the "retail box," which is a little better than Apple's online signup price. Both get you a year of access.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I use it as well and really love it!
It is so handy and I was really glad to have it after my internal drive recently died: It synced after I entered my details during the initial OS X setup and all my bookmarks, contacts, mail settings and filters were set up without me doing anything.

Homepage is a great way to stick files online for people you know, plus you don't need to be at YOUR computer to do it. Stuff on your iDrive can be published using the web interface from anywhere!

I love it, not sure if I would pay 99$ for it though (I get it for free from work).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I did the 60 day trial and didn't see any real benefit beyond a neato mac.com email address.

I don't need .mac's "read my mail anywhere" service, as I can already do that through my other email accounts. I can also POP my mail from Yahoo, gmail, and my ISP when I have a live internet connection to my iBook (which I do not have while I'm at my office).

I have a concern about my personal information and files being "backed up" to a server that's not on my premises and not under my control. For this reason alone, it's not a benefit. The other side of this is that I have to make sure I manually backup my machine regularly.

I also pay for my own webhosting elsewhere, so the web space offers no benefit to me.

Just my $.02 as to why I won't spend $99. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2 GHz, 20"
WasabiTaylor said:

I LOVE the spam free email :) and the bookmark backup/syncing for Safari...

cheers - pistooli

Reaction score
tell .mac you found it cheaper elsewhere they will come down in price

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I wrote a review for .mac waiting for it to be approved

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.