• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro PC and Mac Edition, Why Bother?

Reaction score
http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9600/radeon9600propcmac/

Its just a 9600 Pro that'll work in PC or Mac, it can drive a 30in display, but its $200. You can find much better PC video cards out there with dual-DVI for the same or less. On the mac side it is pretty much the same as the Radeon 9650 that is only $50 more when buying a PowerMac. Its neat that they have a card that works in all systems, it would be nice if all their cards did due to the cheaper cards on the PC side, but it just doesn't seem worth it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Only positive thing I can see is, If you have a 30" display, it's the least expensive card that will power that display. If it will work with the 30" Apple display on the PC, it's a bargin as cards that power that display for the PC are quite expensive. I have a friend who uses an Apple 30" on his PC. Cards that will run it cost so much. The monitor is expensive enough!

Also I am glad to see ATI doing a dual platform card and hope they do more in the future as it will simplify things greatly with video cards for the Mac!

OP
M
Reaction score
How much does a Mac only Radeon 9650 cost alone? I know it is a $50 upgrade when buying a new PowerMac and it can run the 30in display.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
mynameis said:
How much does a Mac only Radeon 9650 cost alone? I know it is a $50 upgrade when buying a new PowerMac and it can run the 30in display.

Not really sure as I have not seen it all by itself for sale. But for the PC cards the price is very high. It would be a good card for a PC person who wanted to run the 30" apple display the right way at a lower cost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.