Can't Unmount RAID; Need Advice

Reaction score
Hey, everybody. I'm having some trouble setting up multiple OS on my Mac and could use some advice.

I need to have access to two separate hard drives; one running the currently installed 10.5 and the other running Classic (which I'm going to install if I can get it figured out).

I recently bought a used G5. It has two hard drives that are in a RAID. I figured having two drives would be a prefect way for me to run both versions on two separate drives. So I tried to delete the RAID to have access to both drives, separately. The computer won't let me delete it, however, and there is a "lock" symbol next to the RAID name. It says the drives can't be unmounted.

My questions are (1) is deleting the RAID the best way to do this and if so how do I do it; (2) or is partitioning the RAID a better way, and how do I do that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Hey, everybody. I'm having some trouble setting up multiple OS on my Mac and could use some advice.

I need to have access to two separate hard drives; one running the currently installed 10.5 and the other running Classic (which I'm going to install if I can get it figured out).

I recently bought a used G5....

No G5 will boot OS 9 as a standalone OS. You can set up Classic and use it from within Leopard, but you cannot install it by itself on a G5.

(There were a few G4 models that could dual boot between OS 9 and Leopard.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.