Considering Switching...Inuput Please?

Reaction score
Hey all,

Currently, I am a PC user, and ever since my parents bought an iMac and since I have used them here at college in labs, I have become addicted. :)

I am looking at getting my first Mac soon, and am very excited. However, I would just like some input on my idea. My budget its limited (joy of being a college student ;D), and I am right now looking at an iBook. I know they are five years and older, but that doesn't bother me too much right now. I would be using it mainly for web browsing, email, and creating word documents. Typical college stuff, nothing too involved.

I am considering purchasing a refurb from Amazon. my budget is right around $300-$400 max. From what I have been reading, it is pretty easy to buy and upgrade the RAM and Hard Drive GB capacity yourself. So, I am thinking of purchasing an iBook with a small amount of RAM and HD space to save some money. (I'll link the two I am looking at now).

I'd just like to know if this seems like a good avenue to go down, as far as getting my first Mac. Any other suggestions or places to look for Macs would be appreciated too. If this is more appropriate for another forum I apologize, as I thought because I am soon switching over, it was fine to post here. Thank you all for any help you are able to provide!

#1) Amazon.com: Apple iBook G4, 1.33 GHz, 1GB RAM, 40 GB Hard Drive, Internal Combo Drive, 56k Modem: Electronics

#2) Amazon.com: Used and New: Apple Ibook G4 1 Ghz 512mb 30gb Dvd/cdrw 12" LCD with Airport Extreme Os X 10.5.5 Leopard Office 2004 Garageband Itunes Imovie Hd Free 512mb Flash Drive!

-Grant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
To be honest, I think it would be a horrible idea to get an iBook. Not only is it super old, but it's a PowerPC machine so no software is available for it any longer and all new software is written for Intel machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have to agree with both of the above. If you can, try to keep away fronm the PPC versions of Macs. As with you, if you absolutely *cant* then i would look at the one in the 2nd link.
But be aware as posted above that there is little to no support for the PPC Mac anymore. It is recommended to upgrade to a Intel if you can, but if 3-400 is all you can afford as a first look into the world of Mac and for what you want to do on it, should be OK.

On a side note, if you decide to go with it, trying to connect to the Learning Institution wireless might be a bit hard. Dont quote me but your iBook if you get it might only support WEP as security and the wireless you will connect too will defiantly have WAP/WAP2 . . . . . Some more research might be in order.

I only say this bc i received a old iMac and i cant connect to my home network bc it doesnt support WAP/WAP2. It only supports WEP :( Something else to think about :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
Do you need for it to be a laptop? You can get a 1st gen Mac mini for less than $200. If you already have a monitor, then you won't need much else. This leaves some room for memory upgrades and other peripherals.

Maybe I'm just biased towards the mini, though...

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice everyone! :)

It has really picked my brain, and gave me alot to think about that I didn't consider initially. Looking back considering all of that, I think that it would be best to just bite it and wait save up the money. Although, the idea of the mini is something new to think about...but then again I would need to purchase a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Ideally though, I'd prefer a laptop, just for portability reasons related to being a student. I think I will give some thought to the mini though.

Does anyone here have any advice or major concerns they'd like to share about possibly going the mini route?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
No concerns about a Mini. I have one, but I'm not a student. Portability is important, especially if you're "back home" on occasional weekends. But go with an Intel processor.

C

chas_m

While the 1.42GHz iBook G4 -- if you can find one for sale that is still working -- is a perfectly suitable computer for the needs you have outlined, I have to join with the consensus: in the year 2011, you really REALLY need an Intel Mac of some kind.

That said, first- or second-revision MacBooks (like my beloved 2007 Blackbook) shouldn't cost you much more than $400 in the open market if you keep a sharp eye out, so you won't have to stretch that budget too far. Early intel Mac Minis may be even cheaper (though I agree with you about portables). My Blackbook does everything I need it to do, which is WAY beyond what you mentioned you want to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.