• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple said testing Android-style iOS pattern unlocks

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
This is kinda cool. But in the comment section of the linked site, a commenter says it's way easier to remember and see from a distance, which I completely agree with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
This is kinda cool. But in the comment section of the linked site, a commenter says it's way easier to remember and see from a distance, which I completely agree with.

While totally true, it's kind of a silly notion in that 99.999% of normal people aren't "targets". Someone would have to have an absolute reason to follow another person around in order to gain access to their phone's info. And that phone would have to have some pretty important data associated with it as well. Thankfully, most people just aren't that important. And anybody who IS that important, likely isn't doing online banking or keeping sensitive data linked or on their phone.. hopefully. Cuz then they'd just be dumb.

Doug

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
This is terrible news!

I was always awful at Simon and the other electronic pattern games. I can remember a code number, but if it comes to this I will probably end up locked out of my iPhone and iPad. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That just looks ridiculous. I can't see Apple implementing something like that. My money is on them extending the Retina Display moniker to the camera, and have it scan your eyeball to confirm your identity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Actually, now that I think about it… Apple already has facial recognition features in iPhoto. I wonder what it'd take to extend that to the iPhone as a secure way to unlock it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Actually, now that I think about it… Apple already has facial recognition features in iPhoto. I wonder what it'd take to extend that to the iPhone as a secure way to unlock it.

That would be really cool, just like a finger print unlock.

Reaction score
Hahahaha best quote from the comments:

They should have a saliva recognition system on the surface of the multi touch display. Lick to unlock! Now that would be pro. Sent from my iPhone

Reaction score
That would be really cool, just like a finger print unlock.

And honestly a fingerprint unlock would be the best and fastest way to have a secure unlock. Where it just says place thumb in a spot where it reads it real quick and unlocks your phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
And honestly a fingerprint unlock would be the best and fastest way to have a secure unlock. Where it just says place thumb in a spot where it reads it real quick and unlocks your phone.

It just seems cool, thinking about it makes you think that you are James Bond. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.