Time Machine... Whats going to happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
I bought my 1TB imac in June - I partioned it give 300 gig to boot camp, leaving 700 for me... I am currently using 400 gig...

My time machine drive is 500Gig, and has been going on the hour, every hour since then... It now has just 42 gig available...

Whats going to happen?

Its not a major problem, and I know I should really have got a bigger drive - And I may buy a new bigger one at some point... But my question really is whats gonna happen. Will I get a warning, or will it suddenly delete the oldest stuff itself, leaving just enough space, or quite a lot of space?

TBH, I'm more curious than worried :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
It will delete backups, starting with the oldest, to make room for new and future ones to come. :) You'll be alerted when TM wants to delete old backups if "Warn when old backups are deleted" is selected from its prefpane. Everything you should ever need to know about TM is available from Apple here.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
It will delete backups, starting with the oldest, to make room for new and future ones to come. :) You'll be alerted when TM wants to delete old backups if "Warn when old backups are deleted" is selected from its prefpane. Everything you should ever need to know about TM is available from Apple here.

Thanks mate. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
I just set up my TM with my old Seagate HD, after announcing I needed to delete everyting on it due to a different format I proceeded to back up my iMAC's HD all 56GB - that took about 2 hours.

To see what TM looks like I click on the TM icon in the dock and the spacey time warp screen opens and I can see the bar on the right side of the screen and a bunch of files all tiled but they are hidden behind a window that reads DESKTOP. If I try and close that window it closes TM.

Is this normal to have a DESKTOP window open on top of the TM folders not allowing me to get to them?

Thanks

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
Tom,

If you are trying to see what is in other folders in TM, open that folder first, then click on TM. It is showing the desktop because that's where you are when you clicked TM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
Tom,

If you are trying to see what is in other folders in TM, open that folder first, then click on TM. It is showing the desktop because that's where you are when you clicked TM.

Yes, I've learned that. Is there some way to get rid of that? It's annoying.

Thanks

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
I'm new to Macs, too... I only know enough to get me into trouble. You'll have to ask a seasoned Mac user for any more info on TM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.