• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is it possible? Macbook to HDMI onto TV as monitor

Reaction score
So im wondering if there is a way to hook up my macbook to my 32 inch lcd tv via HDMI. I want to run it as a monitor while hooking up an external keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have a read of the Connecting your Mac to TV Sticky. Has a ton load of good information there.

Models of TV and manual links always help, but sure you will find your answer there :)

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I use a Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter which I bought at Best Buy, works flawlessly for watching movies etc. Just connect the Moshi to your Mini DisplayPort and connect it via HDMI to your TV and voila.

Moshi - Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI Adapter - 8058886

Appreciate the help.

The problem with telling someone what you use, is that you have no idea if the ops MB has a mini displayport. If it doesn't, you've just advised them to get something that will not even plug into their computer.

And if it does, whether or not the one they have supports audio through the mdp port.
If it doesn't support audio, that's an awfully expensive adapter for their purposes.

Reaction score
Appreciate the help.

The problem with telling someone what you use, is that you have no idea if the ops MB has a mini displayport. If it doesn't, you've just advised them to get something that will not even plug into their computer.

And if it does, whether or not the one they have supports audio through the mdp port.
If it doesn't support audio, that's an awfully expensive adapter for their purposes.

Did not even think of that, my apologies!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.