• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

the Operating System (as we know it) is outdated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
when RAM was a premium and expensive it made sense to have an encompassing Operating System... such is no longer the case... it is time to allow the software manufacturer to write the Operating System that uses the software program at the best advantage... the computer should have the software Operating System needed to power the computer... the software should contain its own Operating System that makes the software work most efficiently... that would remove the bottleneck that is the fault of the bloated Operating System...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Huh? Why even waste your time making this post?

Regards

OP
I
Reaction score
on my mind...

well it is something that has been on my mind for years... thank you for taking the time to give it due consideration before you made your pithy comment... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
What does this have to do with Mac OS X?

OP
I
Reaction score
applies to OS X as others

i am just saying it not necessary for the Operating System (as we know it) to run software programs... software programs would be more efficient if they inclused their own Operating System and the computer would have less variables to contend with...

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
money/time.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
The approach sounds interesting; however, when switching between apps, the experience, consistency, and efficiency becomes very difficult once you start switching from app to app. You're using the developers ideal interface, which might be completely different from the next.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
i am just saying it not necessary for the Operating System (as we know it) to run software programs... software programs would be more efficient if they inclused their own Operating System and the computer would have less variables to contend with...

Were programers to actually bother to take the time and energy to design their Apps to work within the framework of the OS design specs, this wouldn't be an issue. Much of the "bottleneck" you refer to is caused by sloppy programing on the part the App developer. There is a certain percentage of it that IS the fault of the OS, but these sort of things are being updated, fixed and pushed foreword as the OS progresses.

What you propose is interesting but a fairly silly approach to a problem that is not a huge issue.

Reaction score
So if you have three programs running, you're effectively running three operating systems? How would something as simple as Copy/Paste work?

Something I think you haven't even considered is that the operating system provides hardware abstraction - programs don't need to know what hardware they're running on, only that the standard interfaces/libraries to access hardware are available...

Imagine if every program had to include its own set of drivers for every graphics/sound card?

the computer should have the software Operating System needed to power the computer... the software should contain its own Operating System that makes the software work most efficiently...

Sounds just like DOS 3.2 :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Am I the only one that finds this ridiculous.... where does UI fit into this concept other than a mish-mash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.