Sound Problem

Reaction score
Hi all, This is my first Home computer. I purchased this refurbished iMac. There wasn't a user guide provided. I'm a complete dummy with in comes to any computer. My question is this: got the iMac out of the box hooked it up and there was a sound when it first started. Now I can't get any sound out of this computer. I went into the system preferences clicked on the sound symbol. It stated that there was no devise connected. Do I need to get a pair of speakers for my iMac?

PS: like I stated My first computer and it is an APPLE!

Thanks JJunge

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When an iMac or any Mac computer boots, it gives off a "chime". This tells you that the machine has passed POST (Power On Self Test) and then continues to the desktop.

You'll only hear that sound when the machine boots not afterward. You can test your sound system by clicking on the small icon in top menu that looks like a speaker. As you move the slider up or down, it will make a noise when it comes to rest. And yes, your iMac has built in speakers. You can read and\or download a user manual from the Apple site.

OP
J
Reaction score
sound

I don't have a little speaker on the top or bottom menu. On top I have the bluetooth icon and and the airport icon along with the usual file edit ect..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Open System Preferences - Sound - put a check mark in 'Show volume in menu bar'.

C

chas_m

It could POSSIBLY be that the speakers on the refurb'd iMac are defective, but can't tell that yet -- let us know the results of your tests first.

Congrats on your new purchase btw. Did you get it directly from Apple?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.