• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A lot easier to stay in shape than to get back in shape!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Twenty-five years and 70 pounds ago I belonged to a running club in Boston. Needless to so the years and reduced activity have taken their toll, plus last year was basically lost due to health issues.
Now, I'm trying to get back in shape and it isn't easy. Just finished five miles (barely). I know it will get easier, but that's hard to believe right about now. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Stay positive! 5 miles is a big accomplishment, especially if you're starting to ease back into running. :) I also really enjoy biking, and if you've not given that a look, I'd recommend so. Easy on the knees, and a bit lower impact.

The fact that you were a runner back in the day ( ;) ) I hope that you know that you need to start of slow, so as to not risk any injury! Good luck, and good running!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey...you're talking about one of my other "passions" (other than Macintosh computers)...competitive running. I'm known to run anywhere from 50-100 or more miles/week...and I usually run 2-3 marathons each year (among other race distances).

I did have an injury a while back which required me to stop running for a period of time (which certainly isn't the first time this has happened)...and thus I'm currently in the "getting back into shape" mode. And believe me...it takes me no time at all to slap on 5-10 pounds...and to notice a BIG decrease in my endurance & cardiovascular fitness!:(

From my "running expert" side of things...I hope that this 5 miles you just ran isn't the first workout you've done recently. 5 miles is too much to start out doing. Just too easy to get injured (shin splints especially)...and if you do too much too soon...and you suffer a lot doing it...you may lose motivation to keep it a regular activity.

If this is the start of a program to shed some of those pounds...good luck...stick with it...and those pounds will certainly come off (just don't be in too big a hurry to do it).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Pffft.. You guys should see ME run...

To the Potato CHIPS ! Like the Flash I tell ya, the Flash!

:D

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stay positive! 5 miles is a big accomplishment, especially if you're starting to ease back into running. :) I also really enjoy biking, and if you've not given that a look, I'd recommend so. Easy on the knees, and a bit lower impact . . .
Thanks for the encouragement.
I actually tried biking for a while but where I live narrow roads, pickup trucks and stray dogs combine to make biking both hazardous and less fun than it should be.

From my "running expert" side of things...I hope that this 5 miles you just ran isn't the first workout you've done recently. 5 miles is too much to start out doing. Just too easy to get injured (shin splints especially)...and if you do too much too soon...and you suffer a lot doing it...you may lose motivation to keep it a regular activity.

If this is the start of a program to shed some of those pounds...good luck...stick with it...and those pounds will certainly come off (just don't be in too big a hurry to do it).:)

- Nick
Nick,
I'm about three weeks into my program with Saturday being my long run day. Last week's long run was 3.1 miles, so trying to gradually build back up. Running 4 to 5 days a week, 1.5 to 2.5 miles a day with one longer run is what I am doing right now.
If I get my weight down I might try a race or two, but probably will be a 5 or 10K.
We'll see,
Mike

Pffft.. You guys should see ME run... To the Potato CHIPS ! Like the Flash I tell ya, the Flash!

:D
LOL
I've too much running like that recently myself. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm about three weeks into my program with Saturday being my long run day. Last week's long run was 3.1 miles, so trying to gradually build back up. Running 4 to 5 days a week, 1.5 to 2.5 miles a day with one longer run is what I am doing right now.
If I get my weight down I might try a race or two, but probably will be a 5 or 10K.

Ahh...sounds great that you're following a program. Much better than trying to figure things out yourself. Those 1.5-2.5 mile workouts during the week are certainly doable at this stage...5 miles as a weekend long run provides just enough challenge to keep things interesting, without too much injury risk...(and gives you a great feeling of accomplishment when done)!!!:)

Good luck with the program,

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Hey man, keep at it. I am a notorious yo-yo exerciser. I'll go religiously for six months or so, and then I'll get busy (I work a FT job, go to school FT, and do Army Reserve 1 weekend a month.) and quit going for a while. It's AMAZING how fast the human body gets out of shape, especially considering how hard it is to get INTO good shape. The best advice I can give is to never quit. The hard work is sooo worth it. And running is one of the most fun things in the world. I'm currently training for a half marathon here in Columbia :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm with you on this!! Seems every year near Christmas - I stop working out for some reason - either a lingering virus...or something - and then March comes - and it's like starting all over again. Every year older - it becomes that much more difficult to get back to where I was... but here goes nothing...again. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Yeah man. I gotta start running and shed this beer gut! You can't be fat during the summer when you live in South Carolina :-D BEACH TIME!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
WOW You guys that find fun in running amaze me. I was fit in my army days doing a 5Klm run in 18:10 (my best time ever) and cant for the life of me do it now :(

Keep it up Razor bc once it is off it is easy to keep off IMHO . . . . . . . .

Its not the way i look within my body, bc if you ask me i look good ;P but 'knowing'
im unfit is what gets me. Has been 16 yrs since i have run/done anything and will pain me not being able to keep up with my boy in yrs to come . . . . . . .

Well done i envy you both :)

Cheers

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I honestly can't say much of it is fun right now, but trying to keep going! :p

But you do enjoy running then once your up to peak ?? You would have to, to be in a running club. From knowing Nick is a marathon runner i know what running means to him and the feeling he gets from it, you would get the same ??

Sorry, just i was in the military and yes i was fit, but no i didnt enjoy getting/staying there. I loved my sports and basketball/cricket/AFL/Gridiron but i honestly hated doing all the fitness stuff to be able to play these sports (back to sorry part) and just wondering what running mile upon mile does too/for you.

I just could never see anything other than the benefit of being able to play my sports, and i like to analyse things as well lol

Cheers

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But you do enjoy running then once your up to peak ?? You would have to, to be in a running club. From knowing Nick is a marathon runner i know what running means to him and the feeling he gets from it, you would get the same ??

Sorry, just i was in the military and yes i was fit, but no i didnt enjoy getting/staying there. I loved my sports and basketball/cricket/AFL/Gridiron but i honestly hated doing all the fitness stuff to be able to play these sports (back to sorry part) and just wondering what running mile upon mile does too/for you.

I just could never see anything other than the benefit of being able to play my sports, and i like to analyse things as well lol

Cheers
True.
In the past, generally when I got to the point I could reasonably run 8 miles in less than an hour it became fun. And the faster and fitter I got the more I enjoyed it. I'm hoping that will be true again.

Right now though I am in the gutting it out and hoping it gets better soon mode. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right now though I am in the gutting it out and hoping it gets better soon mode. :)

Nice thanks for that. Have fun then lol and hope you reach your goals sooner rather than later.
Should keep this thread as a diary of sorts and post your times over the months and then the world can see how ya doing. And if anything, it could be good motivation as you dont want to be looking like your slacking in front of the community lol

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice thanks for that. Have fun then lol and hope you reach your goals sooner rather than later.
Should keep this thread as a diary of sorts and post your times over the months and then the world can see how ya doing. And if anything, it could be good motivation as you dont want to be looking like your slacking in front of the community lol
I don't know how encouraging it would be to others . . . but would almost certainly prod me along.
I'll try for a while at least to post a weeks total mileage and time, and :Blushing: weight.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW You guys that find fun in running amaze me.

I've been running for a long long time...and to be honest...I can't really say that it's fun (some days are just better than others). But you do get a great sense of accomplishment, it keeps the extra pounds off, and if you have a goal like running a race planned...that helps to keep you motivated.

But let me also mention (regarding fun)...that I'm VERY competitive with myself (and when I race)...so when I run each day...I always push myself right up to & beyond what would be considered a comfortable running pace. So if I ran at a more comfortable pace...the daily running could be more "fun"...or maybe "enjoyable" would be a better word.

Another aspect of "fun/enjoyment" when running...is finding other folks to run with. When you're able to run with other folks...it helps you forget about whatever may be ailing you, you don't always have to think about setting the pace, and some casual conversation also keeps your mind off the running. I do belong to a local running club, but individual schedules (many times) can still require a lot of "solo" running.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll try for a while at least to post a weeks total mileage and time, and :Blushing: weight.

I would be very interested to see how you progress (weekly mileage & weight loss)...BUT...I wouldn't want you to do this if it would (in some "weird" way)...but more pressure on you to succeed.

To be honest...you're going to have some weeks where you will have some setbacks. Maybe you:

- will miss a workout or two
- there may be a holiday or birthday one week where you may reward or "let yourself go" with some celebrating
- or your body may simply plateau for a period (from a weight loss perspective)...before you start losing weight again.

So post your results...but not if it will put extra pressure on you...or if you will feel extra "bad" if you have some less successful weeks.

In the long term...if you're consistent with the running...I guarantee...the weight will come off!!!:)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been running for a long long time...and to be honest...I can't really say that it's fun (some days are just better than others). But you do get a great sense of accomplishment, it keeps the extra pounds off, and if you have a goal like running a race planned...that helps to keep you motivated.

But let me also mention (regarding fun)...that I'm VERY competitive with myself (and when I race)...so when I run each day...I always push myself right up to & beyond what would be considered a comfortable running pace. So if I ran at a more comfortable pace...the daily running could be more "fun"...or maybe "enjoyable" would be a better word.

Another aspect of "fun/enjoyment" when running...is finding other folks to run with. When you're able to run with other folks...it helps you forget about whatever may be ailing you, you don't always have to think about setting the pace, and some casual conversation also keeps your mind off the running. I do belong to a local running club, but individual schedules (many times) can still require a lot of "solo" running.

- Nick

I understand that "competitive" part. Have a strong tendancy to try and set a new PR (at least for current season) each time I go out, so I make a strong effort not to watch the clock as I run.
Having a club to run with would be great, one of the main things I miss from Boston. Unfortunately the closest running club I am aware of is in Little Rock (about 30 miles north of me), so it is generally run solo or not at all.

I will try the posts for a while. It might be interesting and I doubt if it will make me push harder than I otherwise would, but may help keep me consistent. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand that "competitive" part. Have a strong tendancy to try and set a new PR (at least for current season) each time I go out, so I make a strong effort not to watch the clock as I run.

Yes...EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I mostly try to run by "feel"...but I still check my watch occasionally to see how I'm doing.

I have a Garmin 301 GPS watch where I have data fields set for average pace, per mile pace, etc. So I usually have a very good idea where I should be from an intensity perspective on any given workout, on a given workout distance, and on a given workout course (hilly vs. flat).

Some days things go according to plan, sometimes better, and of course there are the REALLY sucky days!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.