What!? Why does macbook only have a 7 hour battery now?

Reaction score
I was just on the website and it says that macbook has 7 hour battery now. Why would they get rid of the 10 hour battery and put in place only a 7 hour one?? I noticed the pros only have 7 hour ones too now but at least the pros have all the new 2011 updates now whereas macbook is still the same as from last year. I dont get it.

Reaction score
I was just on the website and it says that macbook has 7 hour battery now. Why would they get rid of the 10 hour battery and put in place only a 7 hour one?? I noticed the pros only have 7 hour ones too now but at least the pros have all the new 2011 updates now whereas macbook is still the same as from last year. I dont get it.

Is the measurement method the same, and fair to each?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Same battery.... I believe that they are just giving more realistic figures based on user setting and practices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I highly doubt anything has changed other than the printed estimated specs. In a real world scenario there probably wasn't one MBP that was getting 10 hours out of a charge. My guess is they adjusted to reflect a more accurate battery life estimation.

The MacBook just received a fairly recent change, and there really needs to be an entry level machine for the average user that does not need the pro features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
i never get more than 5.5 to 6 hours on my 09 with the wi-fi on.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Getting anywhere near 7 hours of battery life while using the full processing power of these new MBP's is impossible..getting anywhere near that is amazing to begin with..

Regards

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Just the way it goes. The new MacBook Pros are more powerful...and probably use more energy.

It's sort of a "tug of war" between battery runtime & computing power. One year battery life gets longer as battery technology advances...the next year processing power advances & battery runtime is shorter.

Can't have it all...all of the time (long battery runtime AND fantastic computing power)!;)

If you need longer battery runtime...maybe get the previous MBP generation (prior to 2/24/11).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Their add in the Apple Store online states time with wireless I bet if you go back that time
will not include wireless in the old adds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I was reading somewhere that the numbers were adjusted for real world usage. So now you'll actually get closer to the advertised amount.

This is a move in the right direction. More truth in advertising is always a good thing.

M

MacInWin

It's the same battery as in the previous machines, and as others have said, just a new measurement and reporting standard that matches better to real world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Not sure how this equates, but as an example my new Oct 2010 MacBook today has been running on battery connected to WiFi as of 2.00pm until now 10.30pm and still shows 45%, so 9 - 10 hours for me depending on how hard I run it.

Obviously I cant comment on the MBP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Kash is correct. I was reading the same and I believe when MacWorld does their review of the new machines, they'll mention it also.

C

chas_m

It actually says RIGHT ON THE PAGE that the battery is exactly the same, but that the numbers have been adjusted to better reflect real-world usage, ie continuous wireless web activity, normal brightness, etc.

Quoting from here (Apple - MacBook Pro - A notebook full of innovations.
"Apple is using a new, more rigorous battery test that measures the results you can expect in the real world — like surfing your favorite sites in a coffee shop or catching up on the latest web videos. Even using this new test, MacBook Pro delivers amazing battery life. For your real life."

I think that definitively settles the question, yes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well put it this way. Would you rather:

Expect 7 hours and get 7 hours. Then you know you got what was advertised.

Or would you see 10 advertised and only get 7. Same thing in reality. But you'd feel cheated cause they advertised something you didn't get.

And historically Apple are usually conservative (On the low side) with their estimates. Product sales, revenue earnings, brand popularity etc etc. The 10 hours though was more on the optimistic side and not really Apple. A conservative value of 7 hours is much more in line of the Apple way of doing things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.