AirPort / 2Wire Wireless Modem issues

O

oinkydoodle

I have a 2Wire wireless modem that I use with SBC Yahoo! high speed internet. And of course there's the AirPort on my iBook.

My problem is that every once in a while the wireless connection between my iBook and the modem seems to "die". It's usually when my iBook has been off or in sleep mode and I open it back up or turn it back on, and the connection is dead. I'll open Network Diagnostics and half the time all I have to do is a couple of steps into that and it recognizes the connection and corrects itself, and I'm back online.

However, the other half the time I will go all the way through the process and all it says is to restart my modem and if that doesn't work to contact my service provider. Well I know it's not an issue on their part and my modem doesn't need to be restarted because the desktop which is connected to it via ethernet is working fine. I click the network in the drop down box too, it asks for a password and when I give the CORRECT password it says error connecting anyway. What's going on and how do I fix this? Any one able to help me? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I trust that you've put in a call to 2Wire already,....

At a quick glance of their site, and the flash install helper, (which scares me since it's done with OS 9) there seems to be little information or support for OS X wireless configuration.

Is there a way to interface with the 2Wire once it is installed to make changes? Such as WEP, WPA and SSID. When you do enter a password is there a keep in keychain option? Is there more than one machine sharing the connection?

I'd try it without a password if possible. Just to see if the desired result is obtainable. Then try 64bit encryption.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My two cents....

2Wire modem/routers are utter trash. ISP's give them out for free because they are the least expensive things that they can give away for free.

You are much better off getting a D-link or Linksys router and forget the 2Wire. I know this advice doesn't really help you with your current dilema, but it is the best advice I myself can offer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.