• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 9 vs Adobe Premiere Elements 9...better by miles!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 5k Late 2015
Having exhausted attempts (even phoning Apple's tec support for hours failed to resolve this) to produce a good quality HD movie from iMovie 9 some months ago, I have read a number of reviews that spoke highly of Adobe Premiere Elements 9. I downloaded a trial version and have to say that, post editing, the finished article is far superior to that of iMovie. The HD video is exactly that...HD! Also, the added feature of Dolby Digital sound. Come on Apple... where are you! This is why I bought an iMac in the first place!!!

Most of the problem I encountered with iMovie was Apple's own codec (AIC) which I discovered reduces the quality of the native file (.MTS from my Sony SR12E) during the file upload. I do, however, prefer the features and interface of iMovie and wanted to know if Apple were going to improve the program any time soon?

I know that I am certainly not alone after reading similar threads on this (excellent) forum. For a non-professional user, I can easily produce something of reasonable quality, but due to the failings of Apple's iMovie, I had delved deeper into the technical stuff (a little tricky given the non-professional status!) and the codec is the real issue here.

Adobe have produced an excellent editor but lacks the features and 'MAC' feel and interface. Its a shame you cant get a mix of the two!

Anyone else had a moment of discovery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Apple AIC is only applied during the preview process and is not indicative of the final render quality... I would be surprised that the final outcome was not what you expected unless one of your settings was askew..Not blaming just suggesting. Many people have great success and produce high quality movies from iMovie 09...

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 5k Late 2015
I wish it was something I had incorrectly set, but having spoken to Apple about the quality I was experiencing, it looks like its the AIC which is the issue and only improves if you purchase Final Cut Pro!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 5k Late 2015
Yes, I'm a bit disappointed as this was the main reason for the purchase of a MAC.

HD home movies are great but frustrating as the editing/software side has not caught up yet! A little premature I think!!! I might have to wait even longer (already been a year) to see something satisfactory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about FCE...it's only 169.00 at B&H Photo...( an incredible deal actually ) same interface as FCP..doesn't have everything FCP has but huge capability over iMovie and your on the same FCP platform so when the time comes...also accepts third party plug-ins...

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 5k Late 2015
I bought FCE and later found out that it uses the same codec, namely AIC, so no better really!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 5k Late 2015
Still no luck with Apple, so I bought Adobe's Premiere Elements 9 and the results are fantastic. HD video with no degradation in quality, so it can be done!!!

Shame I had to buy more software as I really like the user interface and some other features in iMove 11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got any comparisons...? I've used iMovie 09/11 without any quality issues and would put it up against anything else with regard to final render...also considering the original source material.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 5k Late 2015
Codda,

I have comparisons and Apple's tec support have also agreed that the quality of the HD finished video is sub-standard. I am very surprised as I am using a Sony video camera and an iMac for editing but the results are very poor, this is why I ended up having to buy Adobe Premiere Elements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just wonder why it would vary from computer to computer...as I mentioned...I get what I consider to be stellar final outcomes from my machine using iMovie 11 and a Canon t2i w/H.264 files no conversion necessary using standard high def. render settings....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.